Deck The Cards?

I heard about this fabulous (and practically FREE) gift idea when our music teacher said that she received the most thoughtful present from a friend, and it was . . . wait for it . . . a deck of cards.  Are you kidding me? I wondered silently. What could possibly be so s.p.e.c.i.a.l. about a 50-cent deck of cards?  She went on to explain that the cards were personalized with 52 things that her friend loves about her.  Not random, generic things, but very specific examples of things that connected them on a personal level.  I thought about that gift all day long, then I came straight home from school to give it a try.  I decided to type my appreciations; I'm leaving in a few minutes to go buy a sheet of stickers to type onto so I don't have to glue these sentiments down, but here's what the first few cards and the decorated box look like:



I'm going to make a deck for my sister (sure hope she's not reading this!).  

This little idea has B.I.G. potential . . . think 52 . . . yep, you could actually spread this gift out all year long, between holidays or birthdays or from January 1st to year's end . . . give one a week until your special someone collects the whole deck. And you can change how you personalize them, too.  How fun would My 52 Favorite Memories With You be?  Or 52 Things About You That Make Me Smile.  Maybe even 52 Ways That You Positively Influence People.  Or 52 Sparkle Words That Describe You! You'll be sprinkling JOY every time whoever gets this gift sits down with his or her favorite deck to play a friendly game of cards.


Here's the deck my sister and I made for our MOM!

6 comments

  1. What a neat and thoughtful gift idea!!! I'll be adding this to my to do list!! I don't think enough people put thoughtfulness into gifts...they just buy. I know I have been in a jam and been guilty of that myself.....this is great, meaningful and keeps giving:) Thanks for sharing!!

    4th Grade Frolics

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this idea. My husband and I used to do something similar on our anniversaries. I'm going to do this for him for Xmas. Thanks for the inspiration!
    Barbara
    Grade ONEderful

    ReplyDelete
  3. My friend Lindsay emailed from Canada that she'd done something similar in a book for her sister, and that sparked another idea: 52 Things I Want You To Know - for my sons and daughter - I'd better go get a few more decks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful idea! That would be a perfect gift ... thanks for sharing, Barbara! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hurray! You have given me an idea to give this as a gift to someone who has everything!! Thanks much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great idea! You could give people one card a week and at the end of the year they'd have an entire deck.

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy hearing from my readers; thanks for sharing your reflections with us!