Be Present

Lately it's been so personal, so prevalent, so poignant, palpable even, the reminder to show up and to be present.  Maybe it's because it was such a painful time when our oldest was preparing to leave the nest. Did I have any regrets?  What would I like to do over?  What, if anything, would I do differently?  So every time I see a reminder to
Be PrEsEnT
I can't help but wonder if I am.  
PRESENT, that is. 
And not just showing up, either, but really being there, in the moment. Looking Joshua in the eyes when he talks to me so I can see the sparkle and feel his joy. Sitting down with Jacob as he tells me about his German competition, about this year's musical, or about the new girl who's stolen his heart. Laying next to John on the couch, watching our favorite show, and giggling with one another during the commercials about the weird stuff that's going on in our lives and at our jobs. And falling in love all over again. Giving 100% of what I've got left at the end of the day and on the weekends to be with the people I adore. 


This canvas that I found at Kohl's Department Store reminds of some other ways to be present, for myself and for others. It initially caught my eye because of the second one, create peace. I also believe that enjoying the little things, dreaming big, and showing gratitude will help me by replenishing whatever I give away. Embrace. Discover. Believe


What are some of the things that you do to live your life in the present, today, right now? Carpe Diem.



1 comment

  1. Hi Barbara:
    Often I have to remind myself to SLOW DOWN.
    I am always in such a hurry to get things done (and I never do get them all done).
    Sometimes when I am waiting for a child to finish telling me something, I have to tell myself: STOP! Listen! I have even given myself reminders... I bite my tongue, I count, I focus on their eyes (or their freckles!)
    Thanks for the reminder. And the guidance.
    I love that you are always so present for me!

    Kim
    Finding JOY in 6th Grade

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy hearing from my readers; thanks for sharing your reflections with us!