Words on Wednesday

So today I'm excited because The Corner on Character has been spotted by the Savvy School Counselor and she's spotlighting my blog at her blog today. Vanessa truly has the gift of encouragement; click the button to read her kind words of affirmation and appreciation.




Do you ever look a word but read it as something else?  
Maybe it's just me, but when I first read this comic, I didn't get it.  


Posted with permission; 
click to go to Dave Coverly's cool site.


I had to ask my daughter, a TX State UIL Spelling and Vocabulary Champ, why the kid thought his parents would be suspicious.  Was it that he usually makes Fs but this time he got a D-?  If so, I'm not thinkin' it's that funny.  That's when I got the look . . . you might know it . . . the one that says, "Really, mom?" 


When she read it out loud, it made a WHOLE lot more sense. Please tell me you saw suspicious instead of auspicious, too.  I cannot be the only one whose brain plays tricks on her.  I think that's why it's SO difficult to edit my own stuff.  I'm patting myself on the back and my brain is saying, "Way to go, self, that's good stuff!" when in reality what I've just written needs to be revised and is oft-times plagued with typos and/or syntax, grammatical, or punctuation issues. 


Seriously, did anyone else see the word suspicious?


6 comments

  1. Yes, I saw and read it just as you did. Here it a similar crazy thing about our brain--

    The hmaun mind rcgnoiezs wrdos for the ltetres in tehm and not the orderr tehy are in jsut as long as the fsrit and lsat ltetres are the smae.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, I saw "auspicious" but I've been there!
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got me ready to ready carefully (Like a good coach would!)...

    But I read every sign that says "Open late" as
    "Open Latte."
    And I so wish I was kidding...

    Happy whatever-day-today-is.
    (That vacation ate my brain)

    Kim
    Finding JOY in 6th Grade

    ReplyDelete
  4. At least you read things wrong and can fix it in a jiffy-I hear things wrong! Or don't hear them at all! :)

    Shannon
    http://www.irunreadteach.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read it right, but I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I had to look up the word "auspicious"!
    Swersty’s Swap Shop

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nope. Auspicious. It always makes me think of Chinese fortunes. Auspicious beginnings.

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy hearing from my readers; thanks for sharing your reflections with us!