When I Grow Up

Our last lesson together at school this year for all grades, preK-3, found us talking about their future. Using Tanya's box template
I wrote student answers to the question - 
What do you want to be when you grow up?
- as they told me all about their dreams and aspirations. 
It made for a cute class collection on display.


It was interesting to hear them talk about careers. Some kids want to do exactly what their parents do. Others want to become teachers because they love their teachers, many want to do jobs that match what they're connected to, like a vet cause they like animals, a paleontologist cause they like dinosaurs, an artist because they like to draw, a musician because they like to play piano, drums or recorder. 
One third-grade girl said she wanted to be me {sniff, sniff}. 
It also intrigued me to see the trends between age groups. 
Here now, some of the answers that tickled my funny bone:

Me: What do you want to be when you grow up?
PreK student: A princess.
Me: Do you have another choice in case that doesn't work out?
PreK student: Another princess.
*****
Me: What do you want to be when you grow up?
K student: A vegetarian.
Me: And what will you do in that job?
K student: Help animals.
*****
Me: What do you want to be when you grow up?
First grade student: Can I ask a question first?
Me: Sure.
First grader: Do teachers make money?
Me: Uh, yeah.
First grader: Okay, then I want to be a teacher.
*****
Me: What do you want to be when you grow up?
Second grader: A football player.
Me: And do you have a backup plan?
Second grader: A baseball player.
Me: And what if you don't make the team?
His friends: Oh, he will, Mrs. Gruener. He's really good!
*****
Me: What do you want to be when you grow up?
Third grader: Did someone really say Princess, Mrs. Gruener?
Me: Don't you think that's a realistic dream?
Third grade boy #1: No way.
Third grade boy #2: Probably not.
Third grade girl: Well, she could always marry a Prince.

Do I have a great job or what?

4 comments

  1. I used the same template after I read the kids Being Wendy and I was surprised they got the message to think outside the box. One of my little ones said he wanted to be a hero when he grew up. I asked him what a hero does and he said--a hero has superpowers, like my dad whos's in the Army.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are some funny conversations. I'm glad you shared them with us. (I'd like to grow up to be like you too.)
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE this post! I am still trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post is a day-brightener and I love it!! Yes, Barbara, you have a great job as do all of us elementary counselors! I love to hear what comes out of their mouths sometimes. I'm planning to use the box lesson to kick-start the year in September by tying the dream of their future in with the establishment of good work habits. I might ask them to think about what they want the year to be when it "grows up," aka, ends....and help them reflect on goal-setting for the year. Thank you, Barbara and Tanya!

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy hearing from my readers; thanks for sharing your reflections with us!