NaTuRaLlY AdDiCtInG

'Tis the season, and for me, that means it's time to get out my size 8 needles and colorful yarn to start making those cute little preemie caps again. I'd forgotten just how addicting knitting can be. If I had to guess, I'd say that this craft triggers some of the same chemicals in the brain that other addictions (like gambling, for example) might. The beauty of knitting, however, is that it's not as expensive as the other addictions; it's a cheap natural high. 
     When my husband brought home yarn in the Green Bay Packers' team colors last Christmas, I was cranking them out like crazy, making several dozen of these hats in time for our Super Bowl victory. I donated them to the Save the Children Caps for Good campaign and they were taken to babies in Africa, Asia, and South America. My goal this year is one cap per day between now and the Super Bowl. That'll be seventy-plus caps. It'll undoubtedly cut down on my other naturally-addicting activity (blogging!) a bit, but it's a click for a very worthy cause.  Wish me luck; go PACK go!

7 comments

  1. What a wonderful activity. Your unselfishness shows each day. Bless You and yes, Go Pack Go--we in Wisconsin are addicted to the Packers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very sweet little hats. I don't watch football but my moms a huge CFL fan! But for you ..... Go PACK Go :)
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, JO - I think we have a recruit. Thanks, Barb!

    I don't really see knitting as selfless so much as something to do; if I can help a mom and her newborn in the process, it's icing on the cake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Barbara!
    I've missed BlogLand, but now I have time to read all of the posts that I missed on your site!

    Knitting club is happening at recess at our school. It's a good thing my principal is in charge, because I cannot keep the stitches on my needles!

    Now I admire you even MORE!

    Happy day!

    Kim
    Finding JOY in 6th Grade

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kim, I am thrilled that you're in the loop, even if your stitches are falling off. And I'm thankful for your continued encouragement and JOY!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love the directions to the cute hat plus it must knit up quickly plus it has personally. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Kathy - My hats are really very easy. I cast on 32 stitches and make the band by using a knit 2, purl 2 pattern. Once I have done that for about 8 rows, I start a knit 1 row, purl the next row pattern for the stockinette finish. Watch the video to see how I grab the stitches to cinch it at the top and sew it down the side. Easy breezy! I do have a more complicated pattern from Save the Children. If you'd like me to email it to you, just let me know by leaving your contact info! Barbara

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy hearing from my readers; thanks for sharing your reflections with us!