Hit And Run

So today I'm frustrated because someone hit my van . . . and RAN! 
  
No note, no nothing. Gone. Like the wind. Only the wind doesn't usually leave this much damage.


Most of you know that I typically look for the silver lining: At least it happened while the car was parked and no one got hurt! But today I'm not really feelin' it.  It's only a car. Nope, not working.  It could be worse!  Right, but, as true as that is, right now, I'm SO overwhelmingly disappointed that someone at Friendswood High School would do this, just drive off, and not take responsibility. 

Just leave a note, that's all I'd ask. I'll even let you fix it without notifying insurance if you'd like so that your rates don't have to increase; no big deal. But why drive off? What makes owning up to a mistake that difficult? Why not do the right thing?

This actually happened to John's truck in my school parking lot at Open House about five years ago, only that time, one of our parents saw it happen and got a license plate number. He reported it to the authorities for us, but he'd copied the number wrong and was off by one digit so, when the police said they couldn't do anything about it, this Dad decided to do more. He watched for that truck for weeks afterward to try to help us catch the driver. Sure enough, he eventually saw the truck again and followed it home, giving us an address and a name. Of course, it was the parent of one of my students and WAY too awkward for me to do anything about it a month and a half later, so we were left with that bumper bill, too.

My son was able to walk the parking lot at FHS after he reported the fender bender this morning, trying to find the car that left its white paint in the gaping hole it left in our bumper and taking with it some of our blue paint, and he did find two potential matches. It will, however, be difficult to prove that either of those is our hit-and-run driver. And the security camera out in that lot? Per Murphy's law, it's not working. Budget cuts, I suppose. 

Am I being naive or are we still supposed to leave a note when we hit a parked car? How do we come back to doing the right thing? Today I'm at a loss, but what I do know is that it's critical that we teach the next generation to take responsibility for their actions and to be good citizens, even when surveillance cameras are broken and nobody's watching


6 comments

  1. Ok...take 2....I typed a big long comment and it disappeared, so if the both show up, I'm not crazy...teehee, technology is!

    I am so sorry this happened to you! It is so frustrating that someone A) hit you, not driving carefully and B) didn't do the right thing by letting you know! As I was reading, I was going to suggest the security cameras until I read that they were "broken". I hate that...last year some mean girls let the air out of my daughters tire at school.....I was on FIRE...I wanted heads, but when I called, I got "Mrs. Eiken, the area where your daughters car was parked....the cameras don't seem to be working" Are you serious?????

    I am praying for you today, that God will bless you in a special way and that the person responsible will own up to it and do the right thing.

    You are so right about the next generation. I am so saddened by the lack of parenting/manners taught/respect/love/.....the list goes on, that I see on a daily basis. I try my hardest to grind manners and respect into my students for the short time that I have them in hopes it will stick!!
    Praying for you and sending hugs!!!
    4th Grade Frolics

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, I'm sorry that happened to you. And yes! People should definitely leave notes. I don't know how that person can live with themselves. Hopefully today will be better for you:)
    Barbara
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sad this happened to you. You go out of your way for everyone and it's just not fair! This is what I know, you are out there making a difference in so. many. lives. It is these children that will grow up making positive influences out there!!! On the other hand, it's okay to be upset because it's a huge inconvenience for you! Thinking of you Barbara!!! PS WHen is your last day of school? I bet you are so super busy right now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh, I'm so so sorry. Even though it's a terrible story, I can see it sparking some great conversations with youngsters. You're right. Let's try and teach the next generation to listen to their hearts.
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Barbara, I'm so sorry this happened to you. They apparently have yet to learn what good character means ... must not have spent enough time with YOU. I hope your tomorrow is a much better day, and may the character lessons you teach every day be reflected in what you see.

    Jen
    Runde's Room

    ReplyDelete
  6. This happened in a high school parking lot...new driver, I suppose? Rushed parent, possibly? Someone that doesn't care about doing the right thing, most definitely! This just adds one more example to my growing list of things that make up this generation of "it's not my fault and my mom even said so". You would think that with so much technology and information floating around that the lessons of kindness, responsibility and accountability would be ones that people would "buy into" and care about, and they do, until it involves them or their kids, then it is every man for himself. Sad.
    Shawna

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy hearing from my readers; thanks for sharing your reflections with us!