Magnets & Metal

So today I'm thinking about friendship because of a visit I had with one of my students last week about that very topic. She's been in a triangle relationship and is trying to figure out how to get her best friend back. As we were talking, she explained it like this:  It's like my best friend's the magnet and her new friend is the metal.  The Magnet and Steel that Walter Eagan sang about, in the words of an eight year old. Impressed by her metaphor, I wanted to know more, so I asked, "If you could be the magnet, who would your metal be?"  Not bad, eh?  Then I asked her if she were the metal, whose magnet would attract her. These inquires launched us into this discussion about the qualities that we're looking for in a friendship, what works for us, what doesn't, and why. 
Do I have the best job or what?

That got me to thinking about magnets and metal. Do I have some titles that showcase magnet & metal friendships? Did I have to ask?  

Audrey and Barbara by Janet Lawson, is SO special to me because I do, in fact, have a best friend named Audrey. You can imagine my delight when I found this book about a unique relationship between an adventuresome young girl (Audrey) and her nap-loving cat (me!).



In Nacho And Lolita by Pam Muñoz Ryan, a colorful bird takes a bland bird, the swallow, under its wings and a beautiful friendship takes flight.



Noodle & Lou by Liz Garton Scanlon pairs predator and prey as unlikely friends, but I think you'll love what this bluebird of happiness does for this lowly earthworm.



Barbara M. Joose's treasure Nugget & Darling will steal your heart.  When Darling moves in, how will Nugget adjust?



Duck & Goose by Tad Hills is another priceless friendship find. One of my favorite read-alouds, this hilarious tale finds these two feathered friends fighting over the care of a soccer ball/egg.




In Big Wolf & Little Wolf by Nadine Brun-Cosme, you might predict that the big wolf is the magnet but this heartwarming tale between friends who communicate without words could prove you wrong.




My final pick though I could add many, many more is Farfallina and Marcel by Holly Keller.  This unlikely duo is a caterpillar and a gosling, but when one of them changes, will their friendship stay the same?



4 comments

  1. Yes Barbara, you do have the best job! I love the magnet and metal metaphor. My daughter is also having "friend" issues as the school year ends. I now have more books for my wish list...thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbara,

    Wow! That really is a great metaphor!! I think I'm going to use that with my kiddos! And I was happy to see so many great friendship book recommendations! Right now my boys are having friendship issues in that they are all completely drawn to one boy and don't take time to appreciate their friendships with each other! I'm going to have to check out some of these books!

    Molly
    Lessons with Laughter

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're good, very good. I'm not sure I would have come up with the right question for her. Would you like to come teach my kids about friendship? :)
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy hearing from my readers; thanks for sharing your reflections with us!