What You Focus On

What you focus on, you get more of. I saw that saying on a poster last year, and I wanted proof that it was true. So I decided to test drive it. What if I were to look for something positively inspirational every day for a year, 
and write it down, and share it with the world. 

Would it make a difference? 

We're almost to the end of that year. Like in fourteen more posts or so. And what a year it's been. It's soft data, I suppose, but I think what the poster claims is true. And then some. I've intentionally worked at finding something positive to write about or share every day for almost a year now and, at the end of the day, I'm happier and more content 
than I've been in the middle of May in a 
very. long. time.

The norm has been for me to be so emotionally exhausted and spent mid-May that I am hardly even seeing straight, much less functioning well. And certainly not healthy. I'd be suffering from compassion fatigue 
cause I'd given it all away. 
Every. last. drop.


But not this year. This year, I still have an emotional reserve. On May 23rd! Did purposefully pursuing positivity make a difference? I'd say that it has undoubtedly impacted my life in a positive way.  And though it's not likely that I'll be able to continue being a daily columnist as I cruise into my summer and as things change in my life both personally and professionally, I will continue to seek out those elevating experiences and share them with you as they cross my path.  After all, what you focus on, you get more of.  What data do you have that that's true?



3 comments

  1. our school did several service learning projects this year. When we asked the kids to reflect on their experiences, we got answers we never expected from 3rd graders: I helped my community; I learned how to talk to someone and not talk just about myself; I never knew there were people who go to bed at night hungry; lived our character traits; learned how to give without receiving and little things can make a good day. With positives inspiration like this, our emotional bucket is full

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post. Your posts remind me what to focus on, so keep sharing.
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are such an inspiration to others! What a project to take on for the past year and succeed with! I love the saying-it's so true.

    I'm glad your positivity has led to a sense of peace and better well being. :)

    Shannon
    http://www.irunreadteach.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy hearing from my readers; thanks for sharing your reflections with us!