PPBF: Tiger-Tiger, Is It True?

Today I'm excited to share my thoughts at the Character Educator about 

I'm also super eager for tonight, our school FUNdraiser
BBQ, Bands & Bids. I'm donating a Superhero Storytime package that includes my new book (due out this June!), a hand-sewn character cape, a copy of Super Hair-O and a milk & cookies home visit from the counselor, perfect for a birthday party surprise! {4/12 update: it sold for $300.00!}


Finally, today's PPBF has me roarin' with enthusiasm, too, 
because it's an educator's and/or parents' self-help dream!


Title: Tiger-Tiger, Is It True? Four questions to make you smile again
Authors: Byron Katie and Hans Wilhelm
Illustrator: Hans Wilhelm
Publisher: Hay House
Date: November 15, 2009
Suitable for ages: PreK and up
Fiction
Themes: attitude, self-help, peace of mind
Brief Synopsis: When little Tiger-Tiger's morning starts out less-than-desirable, he determines that it's going to be "one of those days." Will his prediction become a self-fulfilling prophesy? Or will his encounter with Turtle help him turn those thoughts of doubt and despair upside down?
Opening pages: One morning, Tiger-Tiger got out of bed on the wrong side. "Drat!" he said. "It's going to be one of those days." And he was right.

Resources: Click {here} to hear a reading of Tiger-Tiger.
Read a review at Joyful Parents blog {here}.
Find engaging activity ideas at TouchstoneZ blog {here}.

Why I like this book: Based on Byron Katie's Work, this little treasure gets to the meat and potatoes behind our behavior ... our thoughts and feelings. And reminiscent of the work of renowned psychotherapist Albert Ellis, the wise turtle's help leads Tiger-Tiger to discover that it's not things that cause problems for him, but rather his thoughts about those things. Turn that thinking around with his four questions, he posits, and the problems seem to magically disappear 
right before his eyes. 

Ah, the power of transformational thinking!  

So I like Tiger-Tiger, Is It True? because it targets stinkin' thinkin' and can help children discern between what's true and untrue, what's likely and unlikely, what they can control and what they cannot. Ask them to write about an illustrate something that they'd consider stinkin' thinkin' in their lives. They may also want to practice some positive reframes by applying the four questions to these situations. 

Older children will enjoy chewing on this comparison: 
How are the book and this poster similar? Different?



I see potential in using turnarounds with those clients (there is an adult version of this gem!) in my school who tend to have a gloom and doom or the sky is falling mindset. I especially like the last question and have used a variation of it for years in my counseling: 
What would life be like without this problem?

Check out this and other PPBFs at Susanna Leonard Hill's blog today.






17 comments

  1. This certainly sounds like a book that would come in handy, especially with younger readers. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Joanne, one review said ages 3-6 but I actually find it'd be helpful through those teenage years, too!

      Delete
  2. I hope my library has this one. It's Friday, so I got up on the right side!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pleasantly surprised by it and I think you will be, too. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. I'm pinning this book. Looks great!
    And a HUGE congrats on your own book, Barbara! That's so exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and thank you ... I think your firsties will really like it, Barb! The K teacher who shared it with me spent 3 days this week reading and reflecting on it.

      Delete
  4. The opening line is wonderful! Who hasn't woken up on the wrong side of the bed and just known it's gonna be "one of those days..."?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right you are! And isn't it always true that when we apply those turnaround thoughts, things can get better rather than worse? Thanks for your visit to the Corner, Sue.

      Delete
  5. I'm so excited that your book will be out soon! Just in time for me to start planning for next year :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mrs. Laird. It's an exciting time. This is gonna sound weird to say, but I'll happily sign a copy for you!! {truthfully it still doesn't seem real ...}. I appreciate your kind affirmation.

      Delete
  6. Congratulations on your book. This sounds like a book my grandchildren should hear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rosi, and yes, I think every child (at every age!) ought to hear this story over and over again. It's just so true (being a fan of Ellis doesn't hurt ...!).

      Delete
  7. I love that there are books like this. It is so important to begin to teach kids about the power of their thoughts at such an early age, hoping they will carry it with them through life. There would be far less worry, stress and illness, if kids had tools early on to deal with problems. And, congratulations on your new book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat, this is another book that connects us! I really think you'll want a copy to share with your readers. Thank you for your kind words.

      Delete
  8. What a great tool this book looks like! I'll have to find it for sure. And can't wait to see your book! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think this book describes what's been going on in our house this week...lots of grumpy people getting out of bed on the wrong side. (My five-year-old informs me that's the left side.) This looks like a good book that many families can relate to.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your line "stinkin' thinkin' ". What a great way to sum it up.

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy hearing from my readers; thanks for sharing your reflections with us!