What A Teacher Wants

I may have mentioned this before, but it bears repeating; one of my favorite things to do is outreach and training. That's why I'm excited about tomorrow evening, a chance to talk school climate with 30 aspiring administrators and six principals.

Source: The Whole Child Blog - click graphic for post

So ... what does a teacher want his/her principal to do
that'll help create a positive school climate and keep morale up?

Since nothing happens in isolation, I decided to take that question to a group of teachers whom I respect and here's what they said:

*Be in the classroom, getting to know students and connecting with us.
*Make room for a Brag Board so we can appreciate one another.
*Show gratitude: A simple "thank you" goes a long way.
*Put random notes of encouragement in our box.
*Back us up with parents; we need your support.
*Affirm us when you catch us doing something good.
*Keep us in the loop with ongoing and open communication.
*Look for positive things to share after an observation.
*Engage us in fun gatherings to bond us as a staff.
*Trust our competence and value our opinion.
*Give us freedom to try new things.
*Treat us to frequent jeans days!
*Know that we'll choose wisely.
*Believe in our judgement.
*Be kid-centered.
*Ask for our input.
*Give us early-release coupons.
*Surprise us and cover our duty now and again.
-One principal gives out a KitKat candy bar with her "Give Me A Break" duty-free time treat.

How much fun will this riveting game of Jeopardy be?




Michelle over at Teach 1-2-3 shared this post. 
And Rachel from Minds in Bloom sent along these ideas.
A few other links I'll share about positive school climate include:



What are your principal's promising practices
to create a climate of caring and a culture of character?





1 comment

  1. What I love most about my principal is her positive attitude...she comes everyday with a smile on her face saying, "It's going to be a great day!"...no matter how many difficult situations she had to deal with the day before. I also appreciate that she is constantly asking, "How can I best support you?"

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy hearing from my readers; thanks for sharing your reflections with us!