PBBF: Cyber Friend?

Today I'm delighted because  for PPBF,
I get to introduce you to not only a book, 
but also to the Girl Power series and its author


Title: Cyber Friend?
Author: Erainna Winnet
Illustrator: Joyeeta Neogi
Publisher: Self-published
Date: February 17, 2014
Suitable for ages: 8-12
Genre: Realistic Fiction
Themes: friendship, kindness, behavior
Brief synopsis: Olivia and Grace's friendship is put to the test when a real-life conflict takes wing online and out into cyberspace.
Opening page:  Olivia and Grace finished tying their shoes and gathered their gymbags. "Do you still want to come to my house Friday after school?" Olivia asked. "Sure, we can make it a movie night," Grace said excitedly. She started walking but suddenly stumbled. Her left foot tangled around her right foot, and she toppled to the hard concrete floor with an "Oomph!"

Related resources:

*Watch the Cyber Friend? trailer {here}.
*Ask students to list buddy and bullying behaviors. 
*Make a T chart. 
This is what bullying looks like in elementary school ...



but when you put a device at their fingertips, it changes to this:




*Use this clip to talk with your children about the importance of cyber-kindness online, because what you post today leaves a digital footprint 
that can last a lifetime.

*Download your supplemental free activity sheets from TpT {here}.

Why I like this book: This book {and the other three in Girl Power series} is like a social story that jumped off of the pages at me because of its authenticity. Written by a school counselor in the trenches, it's got real-life woven into its very DNA. This could totally happen ... and has ... in a school near you. The enrichment activities in the back of each book are top-notch, another reason that I am so eager to incorporate these treasures into my small group feelings classes! As a bonus, I was able to chat with this counselor recently about her journey from counselor to author and here's what she had to say:

First, I’d like to thank Barbara for inviting me to share a little about myself and my voyage into becoming a children’s book author


Tell us a little bit about yourself:
I’m a wife, mother, educator, school counselor, and children’s book author. I’m moved by kindness, compelled by compassion, and believe in the power of forgiveness.
Why did you start writing books?
When I first became a school counselor, I fell in love with bibliotherapy.  However, I found that many of the issues my students were facing didn’t have a book readily available that could address their needs. After searching in vain and after many, many sleepless nights, I decided to write my own books.
How many books have you written?
It has been four years since I began writing and publishing my stories and what a roller coaster ride it has been. I’ve rewritten each story so many times that I’ve lost count. My first book, Mrs.Joyce Gives the Best High-Fives, was illustrated four times. That book is extra-special to me because the title character is named after my mother who passed away the summer before I became a counselor. So, I wanted it to be PERFECT! At this time, I have thirteen picture books, twelve workbooks, three counselor resource books, and two self-help books for tweens.

How did you come up with the story ideas for your Girl Power Series?
Most of my story ideas come from the students I work with each day. I work at an elementary campus grades K-5 and it seemed the upper elementary grade girls were always in an uproar. I was meeting with small groups almost weekly. I knew there had to be a better way to reach them, so I turned to bibliotherapy, and penned the Girl Power: Believe in Yourself Series.
My favorite story in the series is It’s Good to Be Me which was inspired by my oldest daughter. Her birthday is January 1 and she came up with the idea of decorating a box and writing down all the good things that happen to her during the year, then on her next birthday she’d take them out to remind herself of the great year she had. How Fun! In fact, this year I’ll read this story with each class and every person will create their own ‘It’s Good to Be Me’ box. I can’t wait!
What’s next for you?
I’m currently working on an eBook series for tween girls called Tween Life. I’m hoping it will be ready early spring 2015.


Thank you again, Barbara, for sharing my story. You can view all my books, including book trailers for the picture books, as well as ordering information, at Counseling With Heart.

*************
Doesn't she sound amazing? And did you read that last part? Erainna has generously offered to give away a set of her Girl Power books to one of you, my treasured readers! We will put the name of anyone who comments between now and Monday, September 22, into a hat and let the Gruener Generator (also known as Joshua) draw the name of one lucky winner, to be announced on Tuesday's post.

This contest is now closed; congratulations Leah!

Oh, and after you leave your kind reflections,
head to Susanna's Blog for today's other PPBF picks.




15 comments

  1. I don't like the topic, but know it's needed. Hope to check out some of these stories.Good luck with all of your books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What wonderful resources! I would love to use these with 6th grade students and look forward to Tween Life! I'd love to enter the PPBF series constest! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sound like a really important series here. I am feeling lucky that my kids missed the brunt of social media and texting while they were youn and more impressionable. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I am so impressed with this series and these books!! They are so important to students just needed a good or different example of being or of relating to their world.

    I can see how bilbiotherapy is important to your young folks. I will keep this series in mind. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the title and theme of this empowering series -Girl Power. So positive. Such an important and wonderful series. And, I enjoyed the interview with Erainna and learning the story behind each book. "Cyber Friend" is such an important topic for kids. Thank you for introducing us to her books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love girl empowering stories, Barbara, so I'm always glad to add them to our list. This series looks very interesting. It was great to hear from Erainna - I loved the story of the "It's Good To Be Me" box! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to get my hands on these books! They look awesome and I could really use them in classroom lessons as well as small groups. Thanks also for the free lessons on your tpt store!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too love the use of books when I am providing counseling services. I had no idea that it is called bibliotherapy. I look forward to one day adding these books to my collection. All of my students adored "Mrs. Joyce Gives the Best High-Fives", so I know that they will enjoy these too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! You can't beat a Girl Power series!! Ms Winnet sounds like quite a powerful force herself! Thanks for sharing the interview and the books. I'm adding them to my list for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for introducing us to this amazing series!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow---a must needed topic. The girl drama today is unbelievable and it has creeped down into the early years. I love the idea of the box and remember all the good things that happened over the year.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much for introducing me to this book collection. It is a must have for my girls group!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. thanks for sharing this author & her cute set of books!

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy hearing from my readers; thanks for sharing your reflections with us!