The Star Polisher


YIKES - it seems this year is barely over and yet it's time to start planning for next year. What will your theme for the upcoming year be? As I fondly remember twelve years of themes at Westwood, I'd have to say that my favorite by far was the year we were Star Polishers! The theme, built around this classic by Leah Becks, centered around our little stars and the faculty and staff who worked tirelessly to buff and polish them every day.

The Star Polisher
by Leah Becks
I have a great job in the universe of occupations. What do I do? 
I'm a "star polisher."
  It's a very important job. If you want to know how important,
just go out at night and look at the stars twinkling and sparkling.
You see, I'm a teacher.
The stars are the children in my class.
My job is to take them in - in whatever shape they come -
and shine and buff them and then send them out to take their places
as bright little twinkling beacons in the sky.
They come into my room in all shapes and sizes.
Sometimes they're bent, tarnished, dirty, crinkly and broken.
Some stars are cuddly, soft and sweet.
Some stars are prickly and thorny.
As I buff, polish, train and teach my little stars,
I tell them that the world cannot do without them.
I tell them they can do anything they set their minds to do.
I tell them they can be the brightest, shiniest stars in the sky
and the world will be a better place because of them.
Each night as I look at the sky, I'm reminded of my
very important job and awesome responsibility.
I go and get my soft buffing cloth
and my bottle of polish in preparation for tomorrow
and for my class of little stars.



Thank YOU for being a Star Polisher.  EnJOY your summer.



2 comments

  1. I love that expression. What a perfect way to think about teaching :)
    Thanks.

    ❀Barbara❀
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbara, what a beautiful analogy! I hope you have a wonderful summer!
    Shawna

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy hearing from my readers; thanks for sharing your reflections with us!