PPBF: Knitting Nell

It's another Perfect Picture Book Friday at Susanna Leonard Hill's blog AND it's Make A Difference Monthly over at Maria Dismondy's blog, so today I've got a book that fits both bills! The topic? Generosity. Why not link up with both of them?

Title:  Knitting Nell
Author & Illustrator: Julie Jerslid Roth
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin
Date: July 24, 2006
Suitable for: ages: 4-8
Fiction
Themes: service, charitable giving, generosity, friendship
Brief Synopsis:  Nell doesn't knit simply to pass the time; she knits for service. She makes blankets, scarves, mittens, and caps for babies, family members, and soldiers - all before she knits for herself. The Mayor notices Nell's generosity and honors her service with a Citizenship award at the County Fair. 
Opening Page: This is Nell. She knits . . . a lot.
Resources: 
A Knitter's Review blog book review {here}
Watch the Knit One, Save One video {here}
Westwood-Bales Elementary Knit-For-Service Club info {here}
An interactive community art project - Project Scarf Blog {here}
Knitting Community: Knitting For Charity list {here}

Why I like this book:  Nell uses her craft to generously help others. In doing so, she finds her voice and ultimately makes friends with Danny Tucker, a boy who once made fun of it. Use Nell as an ambassador for generosity. If 'knot' knitting, then how could your littlest learners serve? 


Nell's charitable work totally parallels what we do in our third-grade knit-for-service club, making blanket patches and baby caps to donate to people in need. Here's an example of our handiwork.
Enrichment:  Compare and contrast the following titles with a double-bubble map:
Shall I Knit You A Hat? by Kate and Sarah Klise
KiKi's Hats by Warren Hanson
The Knitting of Elizabeth Amelia by Patricia Lee Gauch

Check out this book; I think it'll wrap you in a blanket of warmth.


24 comments

  1. Looks like you have a great project going with your third grade club, Barbara. Is this in rhyme?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joanna. No, the book is prose but we have a rhyme that goes with our knit stitch: Under the fence, Catch the sheep, Back we come, Off we leap!

      Delete
  2. What a lovely book! I always enjoy your choices.
    Barbara
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Barbara, for always sprinkling JOY at the Corner!

      Delete
  3. Great story of generosity for kids. You are one busy lady. Nice to see you joining in Susanna's PPBF!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for including me. I love PPBF cause it keeps me on the lookout for worthwhile books!

      Delete
  4. This books sounds great (and I love the look of that cap that you pictured...) Also love all the resources, and that your third graders do knitting for others. This is a true winner! (and the fact that I mis-read the title gave me a picture book idea. cool!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun way to teach kids about charity and to inspire them to try knitting. Thank you, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll love Nell, Kirsten! Thanks for your kind words.

      Delete
  6. this book sounds lovely, and I love all the knitting activities. When my kids were in third grade their teacher sponsored a knitting event - we all made mittens to give out at the homeless shelter. Mine were not very good :) but I loved the idea. Thanks for sharing this one, Barbara. I love books that encourage generosity and crafts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jacob was in third grade when we started the knit club; now he's a senior. It was such a challenge for him to relax enough to be ok with 'not very good' but SUCH an important life lesson. Thanks, Susanna, for inspiring all of us to share our FAVES!

      Delete
  7. What a wonderful idea for a book that promotes generosity. Thanks for the great review and resources.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Penny, it's a keeper! I appreciate you stopping by and I love being part of your collaborative.

      Delete
  8. I love,love,love this! The story and the fact that your 3rd graders are doing the same thing. I like to see kids get involved in good things. Thanks for being such a giving person and for sharing this little book. I'll have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Rhythm, you do not know how ExCiTeD and JaZZeD I am that you've stopped by the Corner and left me such kind words of affirmation. I LOVE your book reviews, too, and am tickled pink that you'd come by for a visit. You are definitely going to AdOrE Nell, especially the part where she goes to the Fair cause you'll see all of the cute animals!!

      Delete
  9. What a wonderful book to teach kids about doing for others. Love this message. I'm always on the look-out for such books. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Pat - this one is a keeper that I'm just certain you'll enJOY!

      Delete
  10. I don’t remember how or when I found your blog but wanted to tell you that I’ve been reading for some time. I’m a parent to 3 and we LOVE to read. You have become my number one go to for book recommendations to build upon the lessons I want to teach my kids…kindness, generosity, empathy, compassion…basically how to be a person of good character. You’ve also become the number one reason my library request list is soooooo long! :)
    Thank you so much for this blog!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah - what a WONDERFUL reflection to open up and soak in. WoW!!! I'm so that you can use my recommendations to help instill these important virtues in our future leaders. Thank you for your kind affirmation of my life's passion!

      Delete
  11. I'm passing this title along to my sister, who works at an elementary school and manages (?) the knitting club. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacy, please let me know more about your sister's project, maybe we could be pen pals with them??

      Delete
  12. Barbara...great book choice...I love stories that encourage kids to reach out to others!
    And your class project is stellar...you definitely have the 'corner on character'. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vivian!! Knitting Nell is one of our FAVES!

      Delete

I really enjoy hearing from my readers; thanks for sharing your reflections with us!