Stories of Sportsmanship



Today I've got sportsmanship on my mind, so I've gathered a few resources together to share. The first was an interesting parenting clip I found at the Great Schools website {here}.  

The second is the book You're A Good Sport, Miss Malarkey by Judy Finchler. In this story, it's the parents who aren't being good sports as they shout from the sidelines, and the coach has to find a creative way to solve that problem.


The third resource I found riveting is this clip from Values.com. In it, a basketball player touches the ball as it's going out in a close call during the championship game, and he tells his coach so. Talk about courageous sportsmanship.

Do you know about Wing Clips? Well, they've got a whole page of sportsmanship clips {here}.  For free. It's an AmAzInG resource!

And last, but certainly not least, I found this comprehensive blog post by Chuck Miller with positive stories of Olympic sportsmanship {here}.

What are your go-to tools for teaching sportsmanship?


4 comments

  1. Hmmmm. Go-to books for teaching sportsmanship...
    I'd probably drop by the Corner and see what Barbara recommends!
    Can't wait to click and check out the resources above. Often my kids are so focused on competition, they have lost any interest in playing FAIR... I know our PE teacher will be excited to see those links too.
    Hope you enjoy DC. I'll be thinking of you!

    Kim
    Finding JOY in 6th Grade

    ReplyDelete
  2. We spend a great deal of time on this topic; not only in physical education class but in guidance. We stress the importance of doing one's best and that winning is not the most important thing, trying is. We teach cooperative games whenever possible to avoid competitions. Some resources I use include: Howard B Wigglebottom Learns about Sportsmanship by Howard Binkow; Winning isn't Everything by Jennifer Moore-Mallinos; and Winners never Quit by Mia Hamm. I used video clips from Values.com; You tube, and also Wing Clips.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm excited to use a new book I purchased, "Better Than You" by Trudy Ludwig to talk to my students about sportsmanship (which focuses primarily on bragging). My older students could use this for sure! Also, I made up a game that has situations printed on 1/2 sheets of paper. Each student gets a situation & reads it and decides if the story is an example of good sportsmanship or poor sportsmanship, then they get to crumple the paper and throw it in the trash (recycling!) can. Of course the real purpose of the game is that all of the other students must encourage the student as they are making their toss and give a compliment or make a kind comment (whether they make or miss it) to PRACTICE being a good sport. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post! I liked your rules of good sportsmanship - and I pinned them here: Good Sports

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy hearing from my readers; thanks for sharing your reflections with us!