When Left Just Isn't Right

It has been exactly two months since my life took a major detour 
and look what happened at school while I was away:


I was nominated for Future President 
by one of my first graders because she thinks I'm 
loving and caring and nice and funny! 
If that huge campaign smile has anything to do with it, 
I'm a shoe-in. Even her teacher thinks she made a Great Choice! 

I made another discovery while I was away. 
I found out that my left hand can't quite get it right. It can't do the things my right hand does so, well, handily. It struggles to figure things out. My curling iron? Not at all. It had trouble with my blow dryer, too. Child-proof medicine bottles? Forget it. My left hand was slow to twist opened a door knob and turn a key. And stirring something? Not a chance. 
Don't get me wrong; it's trying to help out. 
But it's never been so clear how 
dominant my right hand actually is. 
I mean was.

Since my right wrist broke and was in a cast for a month, the muscles, ligaments, tendants, and skin around the bone all went to sleep while the bone healed. No one really explained that to me, so you can imagine my disappointment when the cast came off and
 my right hand, wrist, and forearm just laid there. 
Little to no range of motion. At all. Without pain, that is. 
Turns out it wasn't a cast off, it was cast-to-brace appointment
Was I bummed that day! 
Anyway, while I'm strengthening the right hand, I've been working hard at teaching the left hand (which is the one I tended toward as a child before they forced right handedness on me) to help out more around the house. 
It's been kind of a terribly slow learner.

 And with a slow left hand, a kinked neck, and pain in the right knee and right ankle, my life has had to slow way, way down. For someone like me who is accustomed to going at warp speed, that has been an incredible challenge. 
But in the end, life isn't really a sprint, but more like a marathon. 
I'm learning to accept that it'll be a long way down the road 
before I return to life as I knew it. Until then, I'll be working on my character campaign and on helping the left and the right meet somewhere in the middle.


3 comments

  1. That darn left hand! I can only imagine how uncooperative my left hand would be and how little I would get done. But just think how much you will be able do when both hands are working to their full potential. I have to agree with that little first grader, you would be a great president...I would vote for you :)
    Hang in there!
    Shawna

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'd make a GREAT president :)

    Hopefully the last of the healing starts to pick up speed. Take care.

    ❀Barbara❀
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it wonderful that along the way, though it be so very hard, there are blessings (like the campaign picture) to remind you of how loved you are. Thank you for sharing your journey with us.
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy hearing from my readers; thanks for sharing your reflections with us!