PPBF: The Granddaughter Necklace

Today's PPBF is a perfect pick for the Friday before Mother's Day!


Title: The Granddaughter Necklace
Author: Sharon Dennis Wyeth
Illustrator: Bagram Ibatoulline
Publisher: Arthur A. Levin Books (an imprint of Scholastic, Inc.)
Date: January 1, 2013
Suitable for ages: 4-8
Themes: genealogy, roots, ancestry, grandparents, family ties, relationships
Brief synopsis: A necklace becomes a treasured heirloom when it is handed down from generation to generation.
Opening page:  Once there was a girl named Frances, who took a boat across the sea. Her mother gave her a glittering necklace that would belong to me someday. Handed down through generations, it's a necklace worn by the women and girls in my family.
Resources:  
Read a comprehensive review at the Picturebook Depot blog {here}
Turn the keychain activity {here} into a keepsake necklace
Visit the author's webpage {here}
Make Family History Fun with Family Tree Kids {here}

Why I like this book:  We wouldn't be who or what we are without our ancestors; what fun it is to uncover information about and honor the memory of those relatives who forged the way for us. I found myself feeling gratitude to my ancestors while I read from past to present the story of each of the women who wore this special piece of jewelry. This heartwarming treasure will undoubtedly make you wonder a little bit more about your great-great-great grandmother, too. Study the names in the book. Don't you just love the name Frances? Research this year's most popular names. I heard on the radio this morning that the most common boy's name has been Jacob for the last 14 years in a row. What about the girl's name? In the book, you'll see names of old like Evon, Mildred, Cordelia, and Sallie. My mom's name is Marilyn. What's yours? Use it as a springboard for making (or continuing to work on) your own family tree and enjoy the trip down memory lane. 



13 comments

  1. Family tree is a whole unit at school. This book sounds like it would be a great addition to that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a perfect book to read as we look forward to honoring mothers. Finding and exploring one's roots is so important for discovering who one is. Thanks for sharing this book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one is new to me, but looks like a valuable. My youngest is studying ancestry now. Thanks for the timely tip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barbara, this looks like a wonderful book. I've done our family tree on my mom's side. Turns out my Gr, Gr, Grandpa was an officer in the Civil War (no one knew - not even my grandma.) And 2 of my great aunts were Isabelle and Grace - and a friend named her daughters the same--the older names seem to be coming back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like a sweet read. Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful book! I can't wait to check it out. Thank you for sharing :)
    Elizabeth
    Fun in Room 4B

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks lovely, Barbara! I love the idea of an heirloom passed down through generations, and how special each little girl in the family must feel when she gets it, and how connected to her family. Great activities too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful story, thank you for sharing Barbara. It actually made me think of my husbands ancestors as there is so much of interest on his side of the family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like a touching book. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Barbara, I really enjoyed your review of this very touching story. Makes me think of things that have been handed down in my own family. This is a wonderful story for children and parents.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The cover is beautiful, and the story sounds from your review!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a winner, Barbara! Great review and I love the whole idea of the story...helping kids connect to their roots is important...it gives them a feeling of being part of something bigger and stronger than themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great story! Our house is filled with all sorts of ancestral artifacts. My Mom Person loves those connections. I think they are pretty important to you humans.I'll have to check this book out. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy hearing from my readers; thanks for sharing your reflections with us!