PPBF: Sprinkle Your Sparkles

Today's PPBF is sure to ignite a spark for 
peace and kindness, joy and love. 
Prepared to be WoWed when you welcome this 
delightful newcomer.

Title: Sprinkle Your Sparkles
Author: Kirsten Tulsian
Illustrator: Mary Gregg Byrne
Publisher: Nelson Publishing & Marketing
Date: October 15, 2013
Suitable for ages: 4-9
Non-fiction
Themes: peace, kindness, love
Brief synopsis: Everyone has sparkles deep within. In this rhyming text, the author explores ways that young and old alike share their passion and sprinkle peace, joy, and love in their every encounter.

Opening page:  

You have a deep pocket that rests by your chest, 
filled with love, boundless passion, and glorious zest.
If you peeked right inside this deep pocket of yours, 
you'd be mesmerized by the amount that it stores.

Resources:  
*Visit the author's website {here}
*Click on the Human Sparkler's blog for a review {here}
*Compare and contrast this book with Heartprints by PK Halinan using a Venn Diagram, a Double Bubble Map, or the uniquely genius H-Map Graphic Organizer that Denise at Sunny Days In Second Grade shared, like this:

Click graphic to download a copy.
*Study new sparkle words like boundless, glorious, zest, mesmerize, passion and delight. What other new vocabulary can your students find? 
How would they illustrate or use those words?

Why I like this book: This is such an inspirational, uplifting book for our little lovebugs. The metaphor for the heart will undoubtedly connect with even the youngest of readers. Akin to what the Bucket Filler books do, this little sparkler will create awareness of the power of a single thought, a single word, a single deed to lift up, affirm, encourage and heal. In fact, I've got a student whom I'm reading it with today! Just look at the note she wrote to me. If stickers and glitter make her happy, I just know that Sparkles will be the perfect antidote to her aching. 



Check out this book; I think you'll agree that 
its beauty lies in its joyful simplicity.

For today's other PPBF picks, visit Susanna Leonard Hill's blog {here}.
  




27 comments

  1. Looks like this one is fresh off the press! Even as a kid, I wasn't a fan of messy glitter, but when I discovered glitter paint-ah, love it! (Just noticed you're in Friendswood, TX - we used to live in Kingwood :) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendy, and thanks for stopping by the Corner this morning. We have two things in common - Kingwood (I've been there!) and not a fan of messy glitter (until glitter paint!!).

      Delete
  2. Love the idea of sparkles inside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AAWWW! This sounds fantastic! And I love the art of your love bug. thanks so much for sharing! I'll be looking for this in stores.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my little love bug totally stole my heart with this one!

      Delete
  4. That's adorable, Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this is an excellent book to use in promoting Global Oneness Day next Thursday, Oct. 24. It's about recognizing the good that we do, speak and feel and our similarities with our global family -- the heart. I like your resources. Really lovely book for the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard that Unity Day is coming up ... is Global Oneness Day the same? Appreciate your visit and your kind words, Pat.

      Delete
  6. Good interactive book for the classroom, Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jarm. I can't wait for my teachers to check it out.

      Delete
  7. Every child deserves to know about the power of their very own sprinkles and sparkles! Can' t wait to get and share this book with the people in my world! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every. Child! I think your peeps will love it.

      Delete
  8. Marian directed me to this fabulous post! I absolutely love your blog and everything it represents! Aside from having this book as my first publication, I am also in education (teaching right now but have also been a school counselor in Houston). Thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for sharing your insight and feelings about this labor of love! It truly made my day! -Kirsten Tulsian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a nice surprise when the author stops by the Corner and shares her reflection. I'm glad my post was a Day Maker for you. Congrats on this little treasure. Come see us at Westwood-Bales when you're back in Houston!

      Delete
  9. This sounds like an uplifting, inspiring book with all the right messages Barbara! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thank YOU for hosting PPBF. It's my favorite post to write each week.

      Delete
  10. This book looks absolutely delightful! Thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Delightful is the perfect word, Beth. Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  11. I thought for sure this would be a FANCY NANCY story. It was a wonderful surprise to see that "sparkles" have more to do with kindness and good deeds than glitter and rhinestones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Imagine a world sprinkled with kindness and good deeds! Yep, it's a keeper.

      Delete
  12. The reader's response is what matters most. Thank-you for sharing your book and success story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, Joanne. And for the records, my glitter girl LOVED the book. What a doll.

      Delete
  13. This one makes me smile just reading the description. Nice activities too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just like sprinkling sparkles, smiling is contagious! Thank you, Stacy, for stopping by the Corner.

      Delete
  14. I like that idea of spreading sparkles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you would, Rhythm; tail-wagging counts as sparkles, ya know!

      Delete

I really enjoy hearing from my readers; thanks for sharing your reflections with us!