The Kindness Crusader

From time to time, a counseling colleague will reach out in collaboration, sometimes with an inquiry or a request for help, other times with a "Hey, I adapted your idea and this is what happened." Today's post is the result of a combination of the two. After I spoke at TCA in Dallas, Kelly Locke from Wilkinson Elementary in Conroe sent this note:


I didn't have exactly what she was looking for, but we tossed ideas back and forth; once her script was complete, she kindly agreed to share what she wrote.

Aren't these two AdOrAbLe?

The Kindness Crusader by Kelly Locke

Good morning! Today is the last day of National Random Acts of Kindness week, and the day that you will finally find out why I needed so many toilet paper rolls! Today’s theme is “Let Kindness Be Your Super Power” so in class you will be making kindness superhero cuffs. Create your own kindness superhero design. Plus, as a treat I have asked the Kindness Crusader (a local superhero) to answer some important questions for us.

Kelly – Kindness Crusader, thank you so much for being here today. Our students would really like to know what super powers you have and why they are so special.
K.C. – I have magnetic powers. When I want something, it is automatically drawn to me.
Kelly – Wow; that is awesome. So, that power is sort of like kindness, right?
K.C. – I’m not following you.
Kelly – Well, when you are kind to others, more people want to be around you. It is as if they are drawn to you.  
K.C. – I’ve never thought of it that way, but yeah I guess it is.
Kelly – What is another super power you have?
K.C. – I have the courage to stand up for others when someone is being unkind to them, but I’m not sure that is a super power because anyone can do that.
Kelly – Really? It is that easy? How could our students stand up for others and help them when they are in trouble?
K.C. – Oh yeah, it is super easy. All your students have to do is stand up for what is right. If you see someone being rude to another student you can say “At Wilkinson we are always nice to each other.” Or “Wilkinson Lions care about each other and don’t say mean things to one another." Then offer to walk with the student who had the mean things said about them.
Kelly – I noticed that you didn’t say anything mean back to the person who was rude first. Don’t you want to get them back for what they said?
K.C. – Getting someone back can be tempting at times, but that is spreading unkind words, not being a kindness superhero.
Kelly – Oh ok. Kindness superheroes do the right thing even when it is tough. Ok, so I think we have time for one more super power.
K.C. – I have special vision that helps me see people from a really far distance that might need my help. I’m always on the lookout for the opportunity to swoop in and help others.


Kelly – I don’t know if any of our students have special vision, but are there ways they can look for others to help?
K.C. – Oh sure!! It is really very easy. All your students have to do is open their eyes to the world around them and see how they can help. For example – if someone is walking down the hall with a huge load of books they can hold a door for them or help them carry them. If they notice someone sitting alone or not having a friend to play with at recess they can go over and be their friend. There are lots of ways to be kind to others. You just have to open your eyes and see what is happening around you.
Kelly – Kindness Crusader, thank you so much for joining us today. I know that we have a lot of great students who could be kindness superheroes just like you.
K.C. – It was my pleasure to be here. And remember students – being kind sometimes takes courage, but the more you practice it the easier it becomes. Sometimes you just have to wake up, look in the mirror, and say…”I’m going to be a kindness superhero today!” Have a great day!

I'll bet those kindness cuffs turned out cute. Thank you, Kelly, for sharing your engaging work with us. Your students are undoubtedly blessed by your creativity, passion, enthusiasm and love. Cape up and crusade on!  




1 comment

  1. Love how yo have taken action on feedback from an engaged audience member and made it a part of your post! This is making kindness an action, not just some lofty ideal we aspire to.
    Thanks,
    Bren
    Kindness Everyday

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy hearing from my readers; thanks for sharing your reflections with us!