It's Golden!

I just love presenting my guidance lessons because I get to practice life skills with my little leaders. We've started our school year talking about R-E-S-P-E-C-T. Oh, what fun! The focal point, of course, is my little white seal puppet Seymour, who's feeling a little scared and shy, like a fish out of water. After we discuss what that must feel like to be a seal in a group of humans and come to the conclusion that it's what's on the inside that counts, we read the book Something Else by Kathryn Cave. Simply one of my all-time favorites, this treasure finds Something Else feeling a little blue with nothing to be friends with because he quite doesn't fit in . . . until Something comes along. Will he invite him in or send him away?
    In an interesting twist this year, a little kindergartener actually said something like this:  I don't get how that could be so bad because when I'm with my grandma, she always says, "My, aren't you something else?" like I'm special or something. Food for thought, courtesy of a five-year-old. We get to wonder and worry, predict and process, reason and reflect with this gem. See why I love, LOVE, LOVE guidance? In the end, we seal the deal with this little ditty (I ask them why they think I used yellow-gold poster board for my poem) using the hand-jive motions to mix in some meaningful movement. Do I have a 'trrfcc' job or what?

3 comments

  1. Hi Barbara,
    I'm your newest follower:) Don't know how I missed you before! Love your story about the little kindie.

    ❀Barbara❀
    Grade ONEderful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Barbara. Welcome to the Corner.

    ps. I love those flowers around your name; how did you do that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this and will most definately be incorporating your ideas into our behavior RTI stuff :)
    www.rtiandyou.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy hearing from my readers; thanks for sharing your reflections with us!