Friendship Is A Treasure



As I talked with our PeaceMakers during Character Week, one message came through consistently - a true friendship is a real treasure. Ask your students this question: If you were to head out on a treasure hunt looking for items that represent your friendships, what would you bring back? Challenge students to buddy buzz a list of things that represent the trademarks of friendship that works. Then, compare and contrast their list to another group's findings. Finally, have them come up with some reasonable connections between a healthy friendship and the items on my list. Explain what the following "treasures" have to do with friendship:
1. A mirror
2. A ruler
3. A puppy
4. Glue
5. Headphones
6. A candle
7. Keys
8. A stick of gum
9. A river rock
10. A fishing pole
11. Coffee beans
12. A goldfish net
13. A packet of seeds
14. Toothpaste
15. A postage stamp


3 comments

  1. love this idea--thanks for a great lesson!. I had to think about some of those items on the list, very thought provoking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jo. You are always so encouraging! I LOVE open-ended questions with the kids because they come up with SO much more stuff than I ever even thought about when I made the inquiry in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! I love how this really opens the doors for kids to be creative! It could also be intertwined with a lesson on similes (friendship is like a _________ because....). I think I am going to work on that one! Thanks for the wonderful idea!

    Molly
    Lessons with Laughter

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy hearing from my readers; thanks for sharing your reflections with us!