Be A Gift!


So today I'm excited because December holds so much gift-giving potential. And not just for stuff, either. Little pay-it-forward goodnesses mean just as much to people as material goods. 
I'm thinking in particular about the positively influential RAK movement. Three creative examples I've found include: 
Lyndsey at A Year of Many Firsts for her Kind Kids Club idea {here}, and 
Cara from First Grade Parade for her RACK calendar {here}.

Using old holiday cards as a border, we created the bulletin board above to get kids thinking about how they can  be (not buy!) a gift and we're starting a Share Your Hair ponytail club at our school so that kids can donate their hair to charitable organizations like Hawk's Locks For Kids.



Last week we hosted a donation of gently-used coats and blankets along with new fuzzy socks for a local homeless shelter. 



We did our best to fill up the trailer that was parked in front of school Thursday and Friday to warm up these women and children in need.


Tonight we've got some first graders who'll surprise their parents with a love note under their pillows - isn't that fun? What else could your kiddos give that doesn't cost anything? 
A smile, a hug, time, a hand-made card, help, encouragement, advice, a listening ear, a pat on the back, a song? 

How might you Be A Gift this holiday season?


3 comments

  1. I love the note under the pillow idea. My class is doing a RACK each day until Christmas break. I think I'll add this one to our list. Thanks!
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this -- I'm dreaming up my RACKs right now. Thanks for all your inspirations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm thinking that I might be able to be a gift this season by just keeping my mouth closed. :)

    I've seen the RAK stuff popping up all over the bloggysphere and would love to do something like it at my school-just don't feel like I really have the time now to implement it. Sigh. Definitely keeping it on the radar for next year!

    Shannon
    http://www.irunreadteach.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy hearing from my readers; thanks for sharing your reflections with us!