PPBF: The Secret World Of Walter Anderson

Today I am super excited to share that my book,
has won the Mom's Choice Gold Award for Adult Books.



I am feeling oh, so grateful. What a wonderful honor.
And if I wasn't jazzed enough, it's also the return of PPBF.


Title: The Secret World of Walter Anderson
Author: Hester Bass
Illustrator: E.B. Lewis
Publisher: Candlewick Press
Date: September 8, 2009
Suitable for ages: 8-12
Picture Book Biography
Themes: creativity, artistry, individuality
Brief Synopsis: This book tells the story of reclusive painter Walter Anderson.
Opening page: There once was a man whose love of nature was as wide as the world. There once was an artist who needed to paint as much as he needed to breathe. There once was an islander who lived in a cottage at the edge of Mississippi, where the sea meets the earth and the sky. His name was Walter Anderson. He may be the most famous American artist you’ve never heard of.


Resources:  *Read a review at The Picnic Basket {here}.
*Read about the life of Walter Anderson {here}. 
*Watch an author interview {here}.
*Read more at the Seven Impossible Things Before Breakfast blog {here}.
*Talk about Walter's odd obscurity with your budding artists.
Encourage students to write a reader's response considering why they think Walter Anderson wanted to live on Horn Island, his private paradise. Do they have some things that they prefer would be kept secret? Is there anything that can't be kept a secret? Explain. Use this as a time to talk about secrets that we shouldn't keep.

*Listen to the song Me, Myself, I {here}. How does this ballad parallel Walter Anderson's story?

*Using a Venn Diagram, compare and contrast Walter Anderson's secret life with Charlie Anderson's secret life. Do you know this story? Charlie is a cat who lives two distinct lives with two different families, one by day, the other by night. 
What would they consider the same about their stories? 
What's different?



Why I like this book: The first reason it's special is that I got it from my mother-in-law for my birthday. I love it when people pick out books that they think I'll like. Secondly, it's just such a great metaphor for escape and expression. There was so much that people didn't know about Walter (known to his family as Bob) and he wanted it that way. On one hand, the book made me wonder why. Why would he want to leave his family for weeks at a time and hide like that? And yet, I can kind of understand his desire for privacy. Sometimes it's good to get away and enjoy your therapeutic resources, like drawing and painting, in private. By yourself. Alone. Additionally, I appreciate and connect with Ms. Bass' fluidity with words: He needed to paint as much as he needed to breathe.

Check out this book; I think you'll be intrigued, maybe even enchanted.

For today's other PPBF book reviews, visit Susanna Leonard Hill's blog




24 comments

  1. Congratulations on your Mom's Choice Gold Award, Barbara!

    I have indeed never heard of Walter Anderson and now I am quite intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never heard of him either ... and he was right down the road in LA! Thanks for stopping by, Joanna, and for your kind words of congratulations.

      Delete
  2. The language on the opening page is beautiful! Thanks for sharing this (yes, it was unknown to me).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Appreciate you stopping by, Wendy. Yes, the illustrations alone would make someone fall in love with Walter A!

      Delete
  3. Yes, congratulations on your Mom's Choice Gold Award! Saw it on your blog yesterday.

    I have not heard of Walter Anderson and also enjoyed the author interview. With E.B. Lewis illustrating the book, I can only imagine how beautiful the artwork is. And, I love stories like this. Your resources were great ways to use it in the classroom. Such a special birthday gift. Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was, indeed, delighted with Ruby's pick for me this time! Thank you, Pat, for leaving your reflections at the Corner today!

      Delete
  4. Congrats on your award. That's awesome! Love the opening of this book. Thanks for introducing it to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Penny! And my pleasure; I think you'll LOVE this title!

      Delete
  5. Congratulations!!! And thanks for introducing me to this book - looks stunning, Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just delighted that you stopped by, Julie. I trust that you'll also see the promise that Walter's story holds!

      Delete
  6. Congratulations on your award Barbara. I have to admit to not hearing about this story but I do love it's unusual opening lines. Intriguing! Thanks for sharing. I too am glad PPBF is back, Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I couldn't believe it was an '09 book, five years old already!

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on the award! Well-deserved! Yay for PPBF returning! You always have the best questions to go with lessons that encourage deeper thinking. I learn so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Tanya ... it makes my heart happy when you stop by! How are things in Montana? I love making people think and I'm glad I can challenge you a bit.

      Delete
  8. Hurray and congratulations, Barbara! What an honor for you and your book! I will be reviewing it in a week or so - I took most of the summer off from blogging so I could focus on writing. :)
    I love the PPBF book you've chosen - I have started writing non-fiction for kids - and this book looks fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vivian, thank you! I look forward to your review ... and to your non-fiction children's books! Prepare to fall in love with the illustrations and enchanted by the words that describe the illusive Walter A.

      Delete
  9. This book sounds and looks wonderful, Barbara! And I love your resources/activities - just terrific! I will have to read this one! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, Susanna. And thank YOU for hosting PPBF. I really do LOVE the challenge of finding PPBF-worthy titles to share and review.

      Delete
  10. Oh how I love E. B. White. What a beautiful book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, E.B.'s illustrations bring this book to life so beautifully!

      Delete
  11. Oh congratulations on the award. It is well-deserved!
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tammy. I love it when you pop by the Corner and sprinkle some cheer!

      Delete
  12. Congratulations on the award. Another great book and very special that it was a gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just delighted that you stopped by this morning, I appreciate your kind words and I just know that you'll be enchanted by "Bob" and his life story!

      Delete

I really enjoy hearing from my readers; thanks for sharing your reflections with us!