Everything's Coming Up Roses


From time to time, books cross my desk that publishers hope I will like and subsequently review. That happened last week, when my friend Amanda sent me this book called The Little Rose by Sheri Fink. The idea of a Rose book intrigued me because roses are difficult flowers to grow but oh, so worth it when they flourish. This book endeared itself to me and its powerful message resonated with me, so I emailed the author, who graciously agreed to an interview. Today I'm grateful to this budding author for taking time out of her busy schedule to introduce herself, answer a few questions and talk about her newest book. Isn't her smile contagious?


Can you tell us a little bit about yourself?

I grew up in a small town in Virginia and moved to California following grad school. After 12 years in the online marketing world, I decided to pursue my dream of inspiring children and adults to live their best lives. I started writing when I was 7 years old. I loved creating my own worlds and enjoyed doing the artwork for my little homemade books. I reconnected with that joy a few years ago when I started writing inspirational children's books. I love it! Today, I write books that inspire and delight children ages 5-10 while planting seeds of self-esteem that can have lifelong benefit. My books help kids with their self-esteem while they have fun reading the stories and enjoying the beautiful illustrations.

My first book, The Little Rose, is about a little rose who grows up in a weedbed and believes that she’s the weed. The story empowers kids to overcome bullying and to embrace their differences as gifts. The Little Rose has been a #1 best-seller on Amazon for over 35 weeks and is being adapted into a play. My second book will be released on March 22. It's called The Little Gnome and it's about a garden gnome and his first year in the garden. The story helps kids look for the good in change while learning about the four seasons.   

What gave you the idea for The Little Rose story?
The story idea for The Little Rose came during a time when I was bullied. It was extremely difficult for me. I learned that everyone should just be themselves instead of trying to be like everyone else. From that experience, I got the idea for a story about a rose that everyone else thinks is the weed. She learns to accept and appreciate herself for the beautiful rose she is. I'm delighted to be able to use my negative experience to bring positivity to the lives of others, especially children.

Why was it so important to you that children hear the message beneath the words?
I want children to know how precious they are and to love themselves no matter what is going on in their lives and no matter what anyone else says. There's so much pressure to fit in. My hope is that we'll plant seeds of self-esteem that will make kids stronger, more self-confident, and more authentically themselves as they're growing up.


What did it take to get it published?
I did a lot of research and interviewed authors on traditional publishing and self-publishing. I'm an entrepreneur at heart and I really wanted to get the message of The Little Rose into the world quickly. I decided to independently publish The Little Rose as my first children's book. In order to do so, I had a huge learning curve. My passion for my book and its message really helped me focus and ultimately create and publish my book.
  
What's next for you?
I'm really focused on building my brand, 'The Whimsical World of Sheri Fink,' which includes books, toys, and experiences that inspire and delight children while planting seeds of self-esteem. My second children's book, The Little Gnome, debuts later this month. I'm really excited about it! I'm already writing my next book in the series, The Little Firefly, for Spring 2013. The play based on The Little Rose will be released this year. And, I'm speaking to kids throughout the world spreading the message of The Little Rose and encouraging them to believe in themselves. I'm so grateful for these wonderful opportunities!



1 comment

  1. Good Morning, Barbara:
    I loved the interview and you know I always love hearing about a new book.
    You guessed it: A "click" was just heard at Amazon!
    BTW, I consider you a rose in my garden...

    Kim
    Finding JOY in 6th Grade

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy hearing from my readers; thanks for sharing your reflections with us!