Magical Manners - Dr. Jean Guest Post

Today I'm excited to share about all of the fun I've been having with this little comedy and magic coloring book.

My friend Jo from Wisconsin sent it and the kids absolutely love it. I've been showing them the blank pages first, saying I got a coloring book in the mail, 
but I think it might be broken.

Then I ask if they've got any magic words that could change these blank pages to coloring pages. Some of them actually try "hocus pocus" before they realize I'm talking about the word please. So they tap three times and, sure enough, I turn the pages to reveal black and white pictures to color. Then I ask them if they have the magic words to color the pages for me and, you guessed it, the pages flip opened all colored in. They're lovin' it and I'm lovin' the discussion that follows:
How is character like magic?

So I wondered if my magic words could help me get a guest post out of one of my favorite elementary educators. 
I wrote an email to Dr. Jean asking her to please 
{pretty please with a cherry on top!}
share her magic with my readers and ... voila ... here is her guest post. To many of you, Dr. Jean needs no introduction, but in case you've not heard of this inspiring elementary educator or used her creative ideas, 
here's her blog button to bookmark!
 

Magical Manners by Dr. Jean Feldman

A teacher recently told a story about what happened when a student asked her for something. The teacher said, “What is the magic word?” The student looked at her with a perplexed expression and responded, “Abracadabra???” I’m sure you’ve all had similar experiences where children don’t even know about the two magic words. And the reality is, it’s not their fault. Many children are not taught manners at home and they often have parents who don’t model the best manners. There’s also the problem of children seeing movies and television shows where characters are not respectful of others.

WHY?
Manners can open many doors for students throughout their lifetime. Teachers and other adults are certainly more inclined to respond to a child who is polite.  Manners can also be important on a daily basis in the work place. Employers, friends, family … who isn’t impressed with someone who is thoughtful, polite, and respectful?

HOW?
Any child can learn manners, but it takes practice and time. First, talk about why manners are important. How do you feel if someone pushes you or grabs something from you? How do you feel if someone says, “Please” or shares with you? Good manners mean being kind to your classmates, people in your family, and everyone you meet.

Point out acts of kindness and good manners when you see them. When a child makes a mistake, use that as a “teachable moment” to discuss what they should have done. Your actions speak louder than words, so make a habit of modeling good manners for your students.

                                                                                                     
Magic Words
PLEASE and THANK YOU are a great place to begin. Teach children these sign language prompts:

Please - palm open on chest and circle around
Thank you - fingers on chin and then down to palm
You’re welcome - back of palm by mouth then curve out and down

Role Play
Role play situations where you would say “please” and “thank you.” Let children use puppets to create scenes where they should use the magic words.        

Excuse Me
Teach children to say, “Excuse me” if they bump into someone or make a mistake.   

Greetings
Teach children how to greet someone by extending their right hand, looking the person in the eyes, and shaking their hand as they say, “Hello! My name is ___.” Have the children walk around the room and practice shaking hands as they greet each other every morning.

Interruptions
Explain that it is rude to interrupt other people when they are talking. Show children how to gently place their hand on your forearm if they want to say something to you. Place your other hand on top of the child’s to indicate that you will respond to them shortly.

Coughs and Sneezes
Encourage children to catch those sneezes and coughs in their “wings” (arms).

I Don’t Like
Pretend to have a whiny voice as you say, “I don’t like” or “I can’t”!  Let children correct you and demonstrate how to say, “No thank you.”  “I don’t care for any.” Or, “I’ll try!” and “I think I can!”

The Golden Rule
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you is the key to having good manners! As educators, when we treat children with respect, model good manners, and set high expectations children will rise to the challenge.


Thank you, Dr. Jean, for stopping by the Corner, 
for sharing your gift with educators everywhere, 
for setting the bar so high, 
and for being my role model and friend.

Click {here} for my book recommendations for teaching manners.





1 comment

  1. So glad your kiddos loved the book--I loved the way you tied it into manners. A couple of other good manner books I like are: Do Onto Otters, Piggy Monday, and Whoopi's Big Book of Manners for older kiddos.

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy hearing from my readers; thanks for sharing your reflections with us!