Love On Full Blast

Today I'm imagining a world in which every day were Valentines Day
 and our love was perpetually on full blast.


Not just love for those we might consider our Valentines,
but love for everybody that crosses our path,
even those strangers in the elevator
from whom it's easier to turn away
than to say hello and ask How are you today?.

Intentional imagining. 
It's called empathy.
And it's where love begins.

I've been thinking so much about love lately,
especially with the death of a young mom in our town.
Last night, I went to to support her four children, students from my school family. Their pain is so SO unbearable right now and it hurt to see them like that as I held their hearts and hands, for just a bit.

In my lifetime, I've walked the grief journey with so many children.
From the teens whose friend Martha was killed in a car accident,
to the two youngsters whose mom died while boating over break.
From the twin boys and their sister who lost their dad to cancer
to the three boys whose mom lost her battle with cancer.

When I intentionally imagine how sad it is to bury a parent at such a young age, my empathy runs on full blast. As days turn into weeks and months into years, I wonder where those children are now and I'm grateful for the opportunity to love them big through their dark, difficult days.

Speaking of loving big, my friend and colleague Houston Kraft came to San Antonio to inspire us with his Make Kindness Normal crusade.


After his keynote, Houston and I got playful with the counselors
who chose our SEL breakout sessions.


This activity models one way to practice humility, 
by celebrating the successes, big and small, of others.


We had a great time tag-teaming the breakout to remind
the school counselors what they already know,
that relationships matter. A lot!

Those that are doing the holy work sometimes need it the most,
a reminder that they are heard, valued, and loved.

Head, heart, hands. Simple, but not easy.

Need some big ideas for showing love in a practical way?

My friend Lee models love when he heads to Houston
to set up a Super Bowl watch party for the homeless.
He even got them matching t-shirts.


Here's what Kindness Ambassadors at Tamara's school in Virginia.


Hans' students in Washington went outside and de-iced windshields
 to give their love wings. Imagine receiving that blessing.


The school family at Bales Intermediate just sent 65 care packages
filled with home-baked goodness and hand-made Valentines
to our deployed servicemen and women, hugs from home
to express our gratitude for keeping us safe and free.


My friend Margaret bought a pack of Valentines 
so she could tell friends and family how much she loves them.
I know, because I got one; isn't that super fun?


And my friend Julie, well, she creates these incredible Sketches,
to help us remember to model caring in everything we do.

Then she did just that, by sending one to me through the mail.

So many ways to show people that they are loved.
On full blast. 
And just because.
Not because of who they are.
Not because of what they can do for you.
Not because of how much status, money or fame they have.

Just because they're human beings.

How will you show that your love is on full blast today?






No comments

I really enjoy hearing from my readers; thanks for sharing your reflections with us!