PPBF: Remarkably YOU

Today I'm excited because our PPBF pick celebrates YOU.
The you that needs to hear that you are special.
The you that needs to hear that you are beautiful.
The you that needs to hear that you are enough.


The brilliant you that spreads sunshine and light.
The quiet you that cares for others behind the scenes.
The merciful you that forgives and gives grace lavishly.

The kind, loving, one and only you.


Title: Remarkably YOU
Author: Pat Zietlow Miller
Illustrator: Patrice Barton
Publisher: Harper Collins
Birth Date: February 5, 2019
Suitable for: Ages 4-8 (and up!)
Themes: celebrating uniqueness, kindness to self and others
Brief synopsis: This poignant text encourages its reader to figure out who they are, what they're good at, and where they're going, then give it all they've got as they spread their unique brand of sunshine into the world.
Opening page: 
You might be bold. You might be loud. 
Leading parades. Drawing a crowd.

Resources:
Check out the publisher's page {here}.
Read a few reviews at Good Reads {here}.
Sing along with a kid-produced mash up {here}.

Why I like this book: It was actually the illustrations that caught my eye; you'll likely find them familiar, too, if you've read Trudy Ludwig's The Invisible Boy or Quiet Please, Owen McPhee. Patrice Barton creates such strikingly soft, gentle images in her picture books. Once the images pulled me in, the engagingly-simple yet simply-powerful text held on and wouldn't let go. It's truth that every child needs, especially in a world that tells them that they're too this or too that, that they don't measure up, that they're not enough. Big or small, fast or not, readers are encouraged and given permission to "rock what you've got." 

It's the book I wish I'd have had as a child.

And it's the book whose sentiments speak to the adult me,
right now, in this moment.

Compare and contrast this beauty with Rock What Ya Got
Then invite students to get to know themselves better.
Try a personality inventory and help them discern 
between personality and character.

In my work with Character Strong, we say that
personality is a gift and character is a habit.

Encourage students to write an I Am poem
and/or write an acrostic poem using their names,
to spotlight their personality and character strengths
as they share who they are and where they're going.

This is a words-of-wisdom jewel that you will not want to miss. 

Oh, and thank you for being remarkably you.

Visit Susanna Hill's blog for other PPBF titles {here}.





2 comments

  1. Thanks for sharing this title. I love books that encourage differences and acceptance. I hope this will be at my library soon. Your statement "personality is a gift and character is a habit" is so profound! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could have benefited from this book as a child. An important theme. And, I did recognize Patrice Barton's soft yet powerful watercolors. This is a celebratory book. Adding it to my list.

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy hearing from my readers; thanks for sharing your reflections with us!