Strength And Resolution

Happy October. Who's ready for some fantastic Fall foliage?

Today I'm grateful because I got to help my new Principal
lead Class Meetings with our 5th graders. As part of the share time,
we asked them to write down something they could teach us.


So many awesome ideas, but these two really stood out,
maybe because I really connect with positivity and kindness.

My friend Melisa does something similar with her second graders every week; 
they call it Teach-Me Tuesday. Can you imagine the 
potential in this practice, to connect and empower as your
students become the teacher? I've got one learner who
says she can teach me how to make Peppermint Hot Chocolate.
She was quick to add that it's seasonal, 
so I'm going to have to wait until Christmas. {Sigh}

You might remember that I visited Melisa's class family
in Ohio by Skype in September, to read Sloth to the Rescue
and sing them a song on my ukulele. Last Thursday, 
I received a special delivery with bucket-filling notes like these:


I loved them all, but these two stood out,
maybe because I'm a big fan of hearts and rainbows.


Especially hearts disguised as caped crusaders!

After work today, I stopped by to check in on Toni Davis,
my friend at Wedgewood Elementary and look what I found
hanging in her hallway: Our True Colors rainbow banner.


This talented counselor also painted it on her classroom wall.


My heart felt so happy to see it up close; such a kind compliment.

Know what else makes me happy? This Hands Together rug 
that our character cam spied in Ms. Bush's room.
Doesn't it just wrap you up in strength and resolution.

How else can we show kindness to kids?

My Twitter friend Kristin Wiens has a few ideas;
click the image for more freebie downloads at her site.

Isn't this epic? And so cool that she included mindfulness.

I presented a breakout session on mindfulness last Friday;
click the image below to download a pdf of those slides.


I got to meet Timothy Shriver at that Conference
and loved when he said that the work of
"isn't about relationships, it IS relationships."
He also said, "it's not a fad, but a field." Boom.


Our book suggestion puts an exclamation mark on today's post.
Have you seen this greatness by Rhonda Sciortino?


It's a coffee table (or bathroom) book of
rich nuggets of wisdom, hope, strength and joy
that's sure to plant all sorts of seeds of kindness
as we work together to grow a better tomorrow.

Filled with adages and actionable ideas, this magical manual just might be the kind of inspiration you've been looking for.


Because what we plant, will grow.





No comments

I really enjoy hearing from my readers; thanks for sharing your reflections with us!