PPBF: Pete The Cat's Groovy Guide To Kindness

Happy May Day. We have been spending our recent days watching and waiting for this majestic caterpillar to Monarch butterfly transformation. It was a long process that resulted in much patience for me, so that's her name. Patience. 
I absolutely admire how much beauty she breathes into our backyard.


I've been thinking and learning a lot about patience lately;
what is this shelter-in-place situation teaching you?
Author Brené Brown says it's also a chance to learn
courage, vulnerability, compassion, and kindness. 


What does choosing one another look like to you?

To me, it's a phone call made, a letter written, someone's electricity bill paid, a care package sent, someone lifted up in prayer, an emotion validated, a donation to a cause, an inspirational song dedicated, some goodies shared, a kind invitation to sit at your table (when gathering is not a threat anymore).

Today's PPBF pick gives our feline friend, Pete, 
a voice on the topic of kindness. 

Title: Pete the Cat's Groovy Guide to Kindness
Authors: Kimberly and James Dean
Illustrator: James Dean
Publisher: Harper Collins
Birth Date: March 31, 2020
Suitable for: all ages
Themes: compassion, kindness, inspiration
Brief synopsis: Enjoy some infamous quotes about kindness with Pete's unique (and groovy) take on them.
Opening page: Kindness . . . it's kinda my thing. ~Pete

Resources:

Get more info from the publisher {here}.
Find Story Map Multi-leveled Templates {here}.
 How to use Pete the Cat titles to teach character {here}.
Ideas for Kindness Projects from Mindful Littles {here}.
24 Awesome Ways to Be Kind At School {here}.


Why I like this book: First of all, I'm not certain that it's for children ages 4-8 so I changed it to suitable for all ages; the publisher even adds that it would be a great book for your graduate. In this newcomer, the authors have gathered some timeless wisdom about compassion and kindness and let Pete put his signature paw print on the reflections and thoughts. I like it because it's more of a gallery than a story; here are a few ways that I would use it. 

Invite your students to take their favorite quote from the book
and put it onto a picture they've taken or drawn.


Start a kindness campaign of your own. Research the needs of your community to find out who needs your help. Or, think globally and see who could use your kindness beyond your village. I'm always brought back to our knitting club, whose members knit kindness to save babies' lives.

Click the picture to view our Knit One, Save One video.

Knitting kindness, one stitch at a time. Because our kindness doesn't have to be grandiose to make a grand impact. Invite your learners to look around in their immediate space and surroundings to see a need and fill that need. 


Of course that's trickier and a whole lot more challenging in a pandemic, when we're isolated from one another, but imagine how important it's going to be once we are released back into a society that's suffering from shock and working through what recovery looks like, sounds like, and feels like. Our empathy for one another is going to be more critical than ever when the world wakes back up.

Check out this cool Cat and his cute kindness compilation;
the power in this PPBF lies in how you mobilize its inspiration.

For today's other picks, head to Susanna Hill's blog where she's featuring Evie's Field Day, a timely PPBF that you won't want to miss.

 April's isolation brings May reunification? I'm praying for peace and provision as we venture back out with a renewed vow to connection, patience, and kindness.






2 comments

  1. I love seeing Pete the Cat promoting kindness! Pete is one of my niece's favorites, so I'll bet she has this one. I'll have to check. Thanks for the rec!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking it was time I introduced my great grandsons to Pete the Cat and this looks like a great book to start with. I think so many people are focused on the present that they haven't thought about when we have more freedom. Kindness and compassion towards others will be so important. Love your quotes. I get to spend the next six days participating in a spiritual virtual conference I was supposed to attend in Scottsdale. This will be a large focus of my work next week.

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy hearing from my readers; thanks for sharing your reflections with us!