Illuminating Hope

Today I'm excited to announce that Aubrey has won a copy of Time Off. And I'm grateful to be celebrating another birthday and our 29th wedding anniversary 
despite the deep darkness that overshadows the start of June of 2020.


It's actually really scary right now, amidst the chaos and the confusion 
of the unrest and uncertainty of these turbulent times.
In fact, it often feels like we're holding on by a thread.
An incredible fragile thread that could snap at any time.
A thread that probably needs to break, 
to expose what we haven't been talking about.
To unveil what we need to be talking about.
A problem that's way bigger than any pandemic.
And incredibly more dangerous. And ominous.

I talk with a friend who tells me that he has been
harassed in his own neighborhood simply because of
the color of his skin. I get sick to my stomach
as I listen, as I hear him share how a neighbor stopped him
in front of his own house to ask him what he's doing
driving through their neighborhood. Just last week.

I can hardly type the words. 

How can racial targeting still be a thing? I wonder.

More importantly, what unchecked biases do I carry?
What do I need to change to do better?

How can I be a brighter light?
How can I shine hope in this darkness?
What needs to be said that I've yet to say?

Because if we never talk about a thing,
how will it ever change?

I'm going to begin by examining
the freedoms I take for granted
each and every day.

I'm going to initiate courageous conversations
about how to uphold the rights we value and hold dear:

Life.
Liberty.
The pursuit of happiness.
Equality.
Equity.
Love.

I'm going to pray fervently for wisdom and guidance
so that I can be an integral part of a peaceful solution
and not a silent part of the ongoing oppression.

I'm signing up for equity training.

And instead of saying, "I don't see color,"
I'm going to do a better job at
 seeing, honoring, celebrating color.

And I'm opened to other suggestions.

There is light; there's always light. 
It's dim right now.
Really dim.
But it's there.

We simply can't let the fires of violence
be the only light we see.



Thank you for joining me in illuminating hope.











No comments

I really enjoy hearing from my readers; thanks for sharing your reflections with us!