Lessons On Life And Love

Today I'm reflecting on my calling as an educator.

I was hired to teach Spanish 1, but I thought it'd be interesting to find out what else my 8th graders are learning with me, so on yesterday's Notebook Test, I set out to find out. On the bonus, instead of asking them to tell me about the culture lessons on January 13th, I asked them to tell me five things that they've learned that aren't in their notebooks. That's it. Just five. Five things that they've acquired beyond the skills in their spiral.


I feel SO blessed to be their Spanish teacher!

Some of their other reflections include:

I've learned to love everyone equal.
Comparison is the thief of joy.
It's okay to need help.
I've learned how to better appreciate myself.
To always be kind to others, 
even if they're being rude or annoying.

There are some things that a test simply cannot measure.

How to step away from my phone for a second.
How to get out of my comfort zone.
Yoga stretches can keep us calm.
The biggest thing is how to treat others.
I have learned to be confident and kind.

But wait, what about Spanish stuff?

That the personal a is used to show respect.
That there is a lot of tasty food in Tijuana.
Accent marks are an important part of Spanish words.
Women in Bolivia climb mountains to break stereotypes.
That they cross their 7s and their Zs in Spanish.

Ok, phew! They are picking up some language tidbits, too.

I learned that I'm accepted in Mrs. Gruener's class.
I learned to forgive myself.
I learned how to have empathy for others.
I learned it's okay to not be perfect.
I learned Mrs. Gruener's Tres Leches recipe.

If ever I wondered if they are listening ... 


... not just listening, but hearing me.

The importance of keeping a growth mindset.
Trust people more and have more faith in others.
It takes seven positives to take out one negative.
Five-finger breathing technique can clear your brain.
A better environment means better work.

Lead on, my friends; the world needs you.

Yoga makes you learn better and feel better;
it can also release tension and help you focus.
Your attitude toward things matters.
I learned better time management.
It's okay to talk about our personal problems
and not be embarrassed by them.
Learning Spanish can be fun.

Just look at number three on this one; 
could that lesson be any more timely?


Ah, the importance of family. Be still my soul.

💜

This bonus question ended up being a blessing
that brought me back to my why and gave me a
booster shot of hope and joy to keep me going.

If you're an educator, a parent, a caregiver, 
what lessons on life and love are you inspiring, 
fostering and nurturing in our young leaders?

********************

Finally, an invitation; if you're on Twitter,
jump online Sunday night at 7 CST to chat
about one of my favorite topics with us!












1 comment

  1. This does not surprise me in the least because Spanish Teacher now, but School Counselor always and forever. What a beautiful testament that you share YOU with your students; and it just happens to include Spanish. :) LOVE YOU and ALL you do!

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy hearing from my readers; thanks for sharing your reflections with us!