Caitlin Clark At Fever Pitch

It happened in the spring of 2023, when my brother and his wife were in Texas for a visit, the first time I ever heard the name Caitlin Clark. Paul and Nic had tickets for the Women's Final Four up in Dallas, so I figured I'd watch the Iowa game, to see if they'd make it on television. 

It was on that day, watching that enchanting, mesmerizing college-aged baller that I fell prey to her captivating style of court sense and her unbelievable basketball IQ. Hear me out: I am six decades old at the time and never, ever did I give much thought to the game of basketball. I didn't have a connection to it nor did I care about it. Oh sure, I'd gone to a few games to support HS students of mine who played basketball. And I'd gone to college games to hear my boys play their instruments. I'd even won a March Madness bracket once. But to follow the sport? Nope. No way.

So why would that one day and that one athlete change basketball for me?

That's such a great question, especially since I only got to see her twice that spring, in the semi-final that they won and then in the final when they lost to LSU. Fast forward to spring of 2024 and the Iowa women have returned to the Final Four; I held my breath as they beat UConn, and I felt sad as they lost in the championship to the Gamecocks.

Not to worry; we'd soon see her again, because CC, as she's affectionately known, had decided to follow her childhood dream and enter the WNBA draft. Her myriad accomplishments in college had spoken for themselves, and she was the number 1 draft pick. Off she'd go to Indiana, to help the fledgling Fever team improve their game by playing the level of basketball that would get them back to the playoffs.

Caitlin Clark did that and more. This 22-year-old broke some 62 records during her Rookie season and was recently named the WNBA Rookie of the Year. Again, her achievements on the court speak for themselves. A remarkable energizer, she is must-see TV. And when her games weren't being televised, I would actually "watch" the games by reading through the feed. That's the magic of the Caitlin Clark effect.

So why am I telling you all of this? Because this skilled phenom on the court is equally as electrifying off of the court. Win or lose, she always holds her head high, handling the media attention with such authenticity, charm and grace. I've never heard a negative sound bite from her. She always supports her teammates and humbly gives credit where credit is due, even if that means deflecting it from herself. And she shows gratitude by signing autographs for her youngest fans; here's my cousin and her daughter feverishly hoping for their chance at touching greatness.


She also leads the Caitlin Clark FoundationCaitlin’s passion and joy on the court inspire her foundation’s work off the court. The Caitlin Clark Foundation’s mission is to uplift and improve the lives of youth and their communities through education, nutrition, and sports—three pillars Caitlin believes were foundational in her success.  

Additionally, I've seen coverage of her out in her community volunteering for non-profits like Habitat For Humanity and supporting Make A Wish. Recently, her teammate Kelsey Mitchell commented that Caitlin is "changing the world." 

But she didn't just mean the basketball world. 

Check out this clip that takes us back to CC's college days.


The magic? It's that me to WE mindset that makes Caitlin Clark
a quintessential example of a fierce competitor and force of nature.

Perfect? Of course not, and guess what? She's the first one who will tell you that she's supercharged by her growth opportunities. If I were her coach, I'd help her with emotional regulation around her circle of control, especially where those refs are concerned. I'd advocate for her more, so that the other athletes aren't allowed all of those flagrant fouls against her. And I'd keep reminding her to give herself grace and take good care of her mental health and wellbeing.

At the end of the day, the numbers speak for themselves; Caitlin Clark sells out stadiums wherever she goes. And what does she do? She asks the WNBA for spot bonuses for her opponents. 💖

She's proof that a rising tide lifts all boats. 

The refreshing rookie face of the WNBA and an inspiring human, 
living life at Fever pitch, making everything in her orbit better. 

Her parents did an amazing job raising her, and I, for one, am in awe. 

And oh, so very grateful.







No comments

I really enjoy hearing from my readers; thanks for sharing your reflections with us!