Serendipity and Serenity

Today, a story of serendipity and serenity.
It started on a July train ride from Anchorage to Whittier; seated across from and chatting with an 84-year-old Dad and his 50-something daughter, I thought to myself that I think I'd like to plan a father-daughter trip. 

Little did I know that it'd happen sooner than later.

Fast forward to mid-August; my almost-90-year-old Dad calls me and asks, "Hey, where do you think I am?" I hear cows in the background, so my best guess is "at the farm." "Which farm?" he wants to know. Turns out he had driven himself to Nebraska. 

From Wisconsin. Alone. Without telling anyone. 
To meet his great granddaughter and help with a cattle drive.

He shared that he has plans to travel on to Colorado next,
so I say, "well, then, you're practically to Texas." 

"That's what your sister said."

So with a paper map and no idea how big Texas really is, my Dad headed south on a Sunday to meet another great granddaughter, this one, our newest granddaughter.

He just wanted this.
And since my sibling squad and I wanted his safe return to Wisconsin, I got that father-daughter trip that I had mused about just a month prior, on that Alaskan train. First stop: Hot Springs, Arkansas.
Notice that he's in the passenger seat! I drove us the entire seven hours, which was a huge personal achievement as John has been our primary driver since that traumatic collision thirteen years ago. We were met with incredible hospitality by one of my favorite cousins, LuAnn, and her husband of twenty years. On the road, we laughed and laughed; during cousin time, we even shed a tear or two.

Reconnecting. Reminiscing. Remembering,

LuAnn made some of Aunt Elaine's cookies for the road. 💜
The second day of the trip, a Saturday, we decided to drive straight through so that Dad could get back for church in the morning, to check in on his corn ministry, an important part of every August for him.

We shared stories. We laughed some more. And we talked about Mipps as we were on the cusp of the five-year mark of his death. More serendipity, as this trip brought me together with the sibling squad for that anniversary.

How has he been gone for 1825 sunsets already?

That's where the serenity comes in.

Check out this eye-catching canvas over Milwaukee,
where Mipps lived, to welcome Dad back home.
These stunning colors relax my nervous system
and remind me what really matters:

Faith. Family. Friends. Fellowship.

So I spent a week helping Dad with his corn ministry; 
we distributed over 30 dozen cob of freshly-picked sweet corn.

So satisfying to work on this with Dad.

And then, on my last day there, a few high school friends came by
for a visit and an impromptu book signing. More laughter. And tears.
Tears of joy. 
And sadness. 
Because this won't last forever.

But the memories certainly will.

Cherished memories 
of the serendipity
and the serenity, 
of the generosity 
and the grace.

And gratitude for you, dear reader,
for the gift of your visits to the corner.

So, let's revisit an idea to help
students find serenity and relaxation.
Sight: Look for soothing or favorite colors. 
Sound: Manipulate them to replicate the rain. 
Scent: Use essential oil spray (if allowed). 
Feel: Close your eyes and feel the textures & shapes.

Pair the Button Bowl with Julia Cook's The Lucky Button
for friends of all ages who are feeling anxious
and need their nervous systems regulated.

And to put serendipity on their hearts,
revisit Knit Back Together with your learners.

Happy September.








No comments

I really enjoy hearing from my readers; thanks for sharing your reflections with us!