Love That Sticks

Today's post is all about love on a Post-it note.
And it's brought to you by the letter U.

This young third grader came to my office last Thursday to ask if she could have lunch with me. Since Counselor Cafe hasn't opened yet, her request puzzled me. And because in fourteen years, no student has ever stopped by my office to ask to eat lunch with me, it kind of caught me off guard. I had to make a split-second decision and, on the chance that she needed my help with something, I agreed and off she went to get her tray. 

When she arrived at my office, another first happened. I asked her how I could help, and she said, "You know how we're doing superheroes in PE and we're on letter U for unconditional love? Well, I wondered if we could write nice notes together."

You see, Coach Rommel is on a crusade to put Post-its of affirmation on every child's desk. And kindness, it seems, is contagious. 
Turns out this young superhero has caught it. Bad. 
Or should I say good! 
She didn't have a problem to solve; 
she simply wanted my help with a pay-it-forward project.
To brighten up the afternoon for some of her classmates. 


So we wrote uplifting messages on Post-Its while we ate {tulips for the girls, footballs for the boys} and then we snuck down to the third-grade restroom area while her friends finished their lunch so that this is what they'd see on their afternoon trips to the bathroom.

And, sure enough, on Friday she brought a friend came by to ask if they could eat with me because they had the idea that they could make care packages for their teachers ...

Some days words seem inadequate to explain 
how blessed I am to do what I get to do.





6 comments

  1. That's a girl with a heart that will change the world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVED this post, Barbara! I agree with Sarah--this darling will go far! Maybe a future school counselor ;) Enjoy the rest of your week!

    Kate
    EduKate and Inspire

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY! Kindness DOES count!
    What a blessing...

    Kim
    Finding JOY in 6th Grade

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is the BEST story ever!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an uplifting idea. Love what the little girl did. Children have so much heart. Am glad you're nuturing it so that it continues into MS and HS.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, that brought a lump in my throat. How gorgeous, how sweet. Not being a teacher or parent I am so delighted to hear that such things still happen in school today. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy hearing from my readers; thanks for sharing your reflections with us!