Fall Into Fun

Ready or not, it's time to Fall into October.
That means jacket weather for some of us.
One of my young friends stopped by yesterday afternoon 
bearing this little treasure:



He told me that he needed help finding the person who lost this.
So I suggest that he look for someone whose pink jacket isn't zippered shut because that could be his person of interest. That's when he told me in no uncertain terms that it obviously wasn't for a jacket, that it was missing from a backpack. That made me wonder: How was I going to locate its owner when I didn't even know what it was missing from? I had every intention of empowering him and sending him off with tab in hand, but, alas, here it sits on my table, waiting for me to find its owner.
My job is all about connections after all, right?

Then another friend popped in to talk and he pulled some Fun Dip our of his backpack for me. I told him I didn't have anything to trade, so he suggested I make a trip to the Dollar Store. When I finished chuckling, I remembered my treasure box and he picked out a popper. Do I have a fun job or what?




Speaking of fun, we've got so much to celebrate this month:

So many fun opportunities. On Monday, we'll kick off Bullying Prevention Month with a Blue Out. What a unifying experience it'll be to see everyone wearing blue to tell the world that there's not place for bullying behaviors in our school. Click {here} for an incredibly comprehensive list of anti-bullying resources.

Next Friday, we welcome our favorite ventriloquist, Dennis Lee, to the stage for his Buried Treasures show. His heartfelt message always resonates so powerfully in our character building and with our students and teachers alike.



That Saturday the 11th, I'll be signing books at our local Barnes & Noble from 10 am until 1 pm, so if you're nearby, please stop by.

During Character Counts! week on the 23rd, school staff will be partnering with Papa John's to FUNdraise by delivering pizzas. We'll be attaching our students' character messages onto the boxes to let our stakeholders know how our virtues and values come alive in the heads, hearts, and hands of our superheroes.

The final week of October will find PALs making their first visits to mentor our students as well as Hometown Heroes leading our Red Ribbon Week pep rally and helping us celebrate character.

On the last day of this month, I'll be helping to launch the 21st annual Forum on Character Education in Washington, D.C., with my kindness keynote. My (n)ice queen gown is pressed and ready to go! What fun it'll be to reunite with character educators nationwide and celebrate our 2014 National Schools of Character, including a school that we had the privilege of mentoring along the way, Southside Elementary just down the road in Angleton, TX.

What do you have planned as we Fall Into Fun this month?






No comments

I really enjoy hearing from my readers; thanks for sharing your reflections with us!