The Changes Cha-Cha-Cha

Today I'm excited because I started my 32rd year in public education. I also started a new job at a school that's new to me, working with students at a different age and stage than I'm used to. And I got my new laptop today. You could say that I've stepped out of my comfort zone a bit whole bunch. 
Sing it with me: Ch-ch-ch Changes


Taking my new ukulele to school today felt like a pretty big leap of faith. So did wearing the grass skirt (that my friend Annie gave me last May) over my new outfit. Would I be able to play the chords fluidly enough? Would the kids think it was cool? Would they recognize the song and {gasp} maybe even sing along?

It was yesterday morning after church that I decided on The Lava Song, a Pixar Short that played before Inside Out at a theater near you this summer. I started the repetition I'd need for the muscle memory to pull me along and varied the words slightly to make it a welcome-back tune. Then this morning, I watched for third graders (my comfort zone kids) whom I could serenade.


I'm happy to report that I survived the jump. Welcoming students to Bales with a song was a total blast and well worth the blisters on my finger tips and my thumb. Here's a clip that one of the moms caught and graciously shared:



So this year, I'm making it my mission to embrace the Changes Cha-Cha-Cha and dance it fervently, with energy, passion, and grace. Care to join me?


Time now to work up my next song:
You are my sunshine, my only sunshine ...





4 comments

  1. So glad your first day went well. What lucky kids to have someone who believes in them and who puts her whole heart into making school a place they want to be!

    Kim
    Finding JOY in 6th Grade

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Barbara! That was wonderful. I loved it and loved it and loved it! I can't sing or even play a ukelele! I'm so jealous! I am sure that you made a huge impression on those girls and everyone who walked into that school this morning. Imagine the conversations around the dinner tables tonight. All revolving around their days at school and how you welcomed them. That's WHO you are! A Singing Welcome Wagon!
    Patty

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the looks of it, you had a great first day. The video captures your spirit and love for creating caring individuals.mthis is going to be a great year for you!

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy hearing from my readers; thanks for sharing your reflections with us!