Building Relationships, Changing Lives

Today I'm excited because we got to spend this morning
Building Relationships with passion
When the Mr. Whitlock asked me before my workshop if I thought it'd be life-changing, I wasn't exactly sure how to answer. My plan is always to plant seeds that will sprout and grow; it's always my goal to make a difference. And tonight, as I reflect, I'd have to say that yes, it was life-changing, because every time we're reminded to love a little extra on a child, with intention and on purpose, 
it absolutely has the power to change a life.

We began our session with an inquiry ~ What do you want to remember about the 2015-2016 school year? ~ and a Minute to Win It competition: 
Let's build goal posts to represent our end goal.




Fun is the ticket to engagement, and challenges like these really are wonderful hooks to engage our learners.


We talked about what the year would look like as we connect our classroom families and we reviewed and reinvigorated our commitment to Capturing Kids' Hearts, conducting Morning Meetings, and empowering students with Kelso's Choices.

One activity resulted in two visual displays showcasing the treasures that we bring, one in the Westwood Cafeteria ...


the other just outside my office in the front hallway at Bales.


It was an action-packed three hours.

We moved.
We laughed.
We listened.
We circled up.
We played with balloons.
We buzzed with a buddy.
We reflected.
We colored.
We connected.
We cried.

And after we wrote notes to express our gratitude to someone who has positively influenced our journey, we shared them with one another, out loud, to practice publicly appreciating and affirming our loved ones.


We launched with this clip from Parkway Schools in Missouri, to encourage them to experience school through the eyes of a child.


It's a passionate reminder that every day we get a chance ... 
to step into someone's story 
and change the trajectory of his or her future. 
For good
And that's a touchdown for both the gift giver and the recipient.
Click {here} if you want to see my slides.

Happy new year.





1 comment

I really enjoy hearing from my readers; thanks for sharing your reflections with us!