Peace And Plenty

As we say good-bye to 2015 and start our 2016 story,
I'm reflecting on my one little word for this past year:
harmony.
The first definition in the dictionary has to do with musical notes struck simultaneously to produce a pleasant sound; the second definition? 
Agreement or concord.

And as I reflect, I'd like to say that because I chose harmony as my focus word, that this year fell beautifully into place like the notes on a John Williams' score. But, alas, that wouldn't be painting an honest or accurate picture of how it went. In reality, a good part of my 2015 was out of harmony for me. Some of the discord was downright painful, but in hindsight, I'm convinced that those times served an important purpose, to stretch and grow me, and for that, I'm thankful.

And, just because God has a keen sense of humor, look what I spied in the butterfly garden at Bales earlier this week when I was showing my sister around. 


I'm sure it has been there every time I've sat out there with a student this semester; it just took me looking at my new surroundings again through a different lens to find harmony where it has been all along. 
Life's funny like that, isn't it?

We also got a sneak peek at the progress of our new mural.
Isn't it going to be a valuable addition to that hallway?

Click the picture for more information about Murals by Kathy.
So as we move forward into a new year, today I'm enjoying the memories of these past two weeks spent putting puzzles together ... 


... and finishing a furniture-restoration project,


of our hearts and our home filled with so much JOY . . .


that even our backyard birds are chirping with delight.


Warm reflections of walks and talks and card games and Hallmark movies, 
of eating in and eating out, of smiles and satisfaction.


Life feels harmonious again. And I'm filled with gratitude.
Our last night of extended-family holiday togetherness found us watching 
the UW Badgers battle to win the Holiday Bowl.


And as I write this, my Dad and his wife are on the road headed back home after a dozen days with us; my sister and her husband are en route home by air. My brother and his girlfriend have returned to Wisconsin, too, and the college kids will spend New Year's Eve with their friends in their perspective college towns. 

I'll sign off with this sign that my sister brought from my mom's kitchen for mine, my wish for you, dear reader, in 2016 and beyond.


Happy New Year.





2 comments

  1. Lovely post as always. My word is gratitude; be thankful everyday for the little things in life that I may overlook. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy hearing from my readers; thanks for sharing your reflections with us!