The People You Fall On

Today I'm reflecting about something that happened on my flight home from Pennsylvania this past week. Storms put us on a weather delay, so I was pretty excited when we finally took off Saturday afternoon. Energized but exhausted from a fun-filled week, I was eager to pull out my pillow for a power nap. Unfortunately, the flight attendants' repeated reminders to stay seated, not only for our safety, but for the well-being "of the people you will fall on," kept that coveted rest from happening.


And I haven't been able to stop thinking about that metaphor
for the stakeholders in our decisions, the people in our lives
that we fall on with every choice we make. In sunshine and in storms, 
through chaos and through celebrations. 

My Godparents, Clay and Sue, are a strong example of that for me.


It was just over 57 years ago when Sue agreed at my Baptism to support and see me through my Confirmation of faith; their commitment to be a part of my life has gone way beyond that initial promise to my parents. They are kind, loving, generous friends whom I'm blessed to have in my life and with whom I spent some glorious time reconnecting this week.

They live in an incredible part of Lancaster County, PA.


When I first arrived, I met author Linnea McFadden for lunch at Katie's Kitchen, a delicious Amish restaurant. It was a treat to visit with this sweet kindness advocate, who will be tomorrow's guest on our podcast Character Speaks.

Our kind waitress left this sweet note on our check. 


Everywhere we went, we saw reminders that Fall is in the air, 


and signs that peace is a way of life up there.


On Friday, I headed to Londonderry School,


to thank them in person for being people we could fall on,
far-away friends we affectionately call our Harvey Heroes.

















This school family danced up a storm for us at this time last year
and sent the proceeds to our Education Foundation,
to help the FISD teachers whose homes had flooded.
Additionally, Katie donated all the money from her 5th birthday.
Kindness is a superpower and I could feel it unleashed.


This is what friends whom we can fall on look like
and I am grateful for their light and their love.

Who are the people you fall on ... and who falls on you?

Happy Fall.





No comments

I really enjoy hearing from my readers; thanks for sharing your reflections with us!