PPBF: Chilly Da Vinci

Lately I've been thinking about my #oneword2018, vulnerability. Then yesterday, I came across this Brene Brown wisdom and it struck a dissonant chord with me.


To ask for what you need. That's a hard one for me.
{I'm thinking maybe next year, I pick an easier word?!}

Yesterday's school visit took me to see the Kindness Club at my friend Rachel's school, where I got to hang out and enjoy Kiki's Hats with them.


It was cool talking about knitting kindness with these superheroes,
who are changing the world for good, one kind act at a time.

Tonight Rachel and I are meeting Julia Cook for breakfast at dinner; 
I can't wait to get a copy of this beauty, A Flicker of Hope.


Click the book cover image to hear Julia talk about this title,
an essential tool that tackles sadness, depression, and hope.
It addresses the aforementioned ability to ask for what you need
as well as to be the candle for someone in need as you are able.

I connect with how Julia described this newbie: "It's my heart on paper."

On to today's PPBF, though technically Susanna isn't having the link-up today because she's in the midst of hosting her 8th annual holiday writing contest
Have you entered yet? Entries are due tomorrow.

Anyway, now it's my pleasure to introduce Chilly Da Vinci.


Author and Illustrator: J. Rutland
Publisher: NorthSouth Books
Publishing Date: December 4, 2018
Suitable for ages: 6-10
Themes: perseverance, resilience, grit
Brief synopsis: Not your ordinary penguin, Chilly is an inventor whose contraptions don't always work out as planned. Will he be able to undo something that went awry before he and his friends become whale food?
Opening page: My name is Chilly, and while others do "penguin" things, I build machines. Unfortunately, they don't always work.

Resources: 

Read a review by Publishers Weekly {here}.
Get an insider's scoop on the project from NetGalley {here}.
Read a librarian's five-star review {here}.

Compare and contrast with my favorite penguin books:
Flight School by Lita Judge and
My Penguin Osbert by Elizabeth Cody Kimmel.

Order Lita Judge's new release Penguin Flies Home for another option.

Or compare Chilly to another inventor in the mindset treasure, 
The Most Magnificent Thing by Ashley Spires.

Then, for fun, encourage your students to go out and find a rock that they could paint into a penguin, like our son Jacob did.


Why I like this book: It's about a quirky penguin who's clever, innovative, vulnerable, and hilarious; what's not to like? You will want to set aside a good chunk of time to read through this entertaining story and give the adorable illustrations and sidebar comments the attention they deserve. And since I do think it'd be better suited grades 1-4, I tweaked the age recommendations slightly, something that's no stranger to Chilly. Tweaking, like he has to do with his inventions, that is. In the back, an author's note gives a bit of the back story connection to the late great inventors, Leonardo Da Vinci, as well as a pep talk to the reader to persevere and keep on building resilience and grit, even when things don't quite seem to work out. Especially then.

The book's message that there's always hope resonates with the hope dealer in me. I guess you could say that Chilly is a hope dealer, too.

Check out this book; I think you'll agree that it's a blast {of Arctic air, that is}. 






No comments

I really enjoy hearing from my readers; thanks for sharing your reflections with us!