PPBF: My Strong Mind

Happy Friday; are you on Spring Break this coming week?
The sun has finally peeked out and we've got a garden to plant.
It's always fun to revive this plot for another giving garden.



It calls us to be outside more, and gives us something to do,
to plant, to weed, to cultivate, to grow, to harvest, to share.
It serves as a strong metaphor for life, too: 
What we plant will grow.

Today I'm grateful, because my friend Tanya  picked our PPBF
she connected with it so much that she sent it to me as a gift.
I love her thoughtfulness as much as I think
you're going to love My Strong Mind.
Title: My Strong Mind
Author and Illustrator: Niels Van Hove
Publisher: J.J. Truebridges Media
Birth Date: October 20, 2017
Suitable for: ages 4-8
Themes: mental toughness, mindset, resilience 
Brief synopsis: When things don't go well for Kate, she has two choices: tackle the problem or let it tackle her. After she reads a book about her strong mind, she learns that she can train her brain to try new things. But can she help her Dad learn a thing or two, too?
Opening page: Kate is a sporty and happy girl. She does well at school and has many friends. But like every girl, she faces difficult situations at home or at school. Sometimes things just don't go as she likes.

Resources: Enjoy a read-aloud here.



Take a How Strong Is Your Mind quiz {here}.
Find out more about Mental Toughness {here}.
Author Niels Van Hove Talks About Resilience {here}. 
4 Science-Based Ways To Develop A Strong Mind {here}.

Why I like this book: Knowledge is power; this little treasure helps empower its readers by teaching about the power of a growth mindset and mental toughness. After reading a book about her strong mind, Kate benefits from learning to take the 't off of I can't so that it becomes I can. In example after example from Kate's everyday rituals and routines, this text shows as it tells the difference that keeping a positive attitude and growth mindset makes, even as its young learner persists through hardships and disappointment. Within the story, the author embedded a mindfulness exercise called Rock The Boat, which is available for free on the Smiling Mind app. In a fun twist at the end, Kate has a chance to teach it her Dad, to solidify what she is learning.

In the back of the book, the notes for the parents page include explanations about the four attributes for Mental Toughness: Commitment, Control, Challenge, and Confidence.

Use the book as a springboard for a discussion about reacting versus responding. As we learn to respond instead of react, we'll gain more control and can better experience self-regulation. Practice rainbow breathing or elevator breathing as a response-ability mindfulness strategy. 

Check out this book; I predict it'll be a strong addition to your mindset library. Then head over to Susanna Hill's blog to see what other terrific titles have been recommended for you today. 





5 comments

  1. What a great topic for a picture book. Young minds are so wonderful, absorbent and resilient. I love the practical tools here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this book. Kids today need books about resilience. I hope my library has a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the this book's theme for children. It is a theme I used with people I used to supervise. Adults would benefit from this book too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for highlighting this book. The practical tools and breathing exercises would be very useful for kids and adults.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for all of the great resources to go with this book! I now have more ideas to add to the resiliency lesson I planned to go along with it. :) I'm going to email you a photo of what "spring" looks like here. Spoiler alert: we will not be planting anything for quite awhile!

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy hearing from my readers; thanks for sharing your reflections with us!