Celebrating Every Day As Shoesday

Today I'm excited that my guest post about empathy 
is live {here} at the Character Strong blog.


During our renovations, I came across these two treasures.
The first, a pair of slippers that Joshua used to love.
So soft and comfy; such a fun memory.
The second, a gift from my counseling colleague Heather.
She was embarrassed that her first-grade daughter
got the letters backward and upside down in this mini-marquee,
but I thought it was adorable.
Perfectly imperfect.

Kind of like what happened to me yesterday, when my windshield wiper came off and I tried to put it by on all by myself. I couldn't get it back off, so I had to drive home from the Post Office like this, a mobile billboard for mistakes happen.


Collectively it has me thinking about grit.
About growth.
About failing forward.
And about walking in someone else's shoes
while they journey through the magic of their own mistakes 
growing outside of their comfort cocoons.

It also prompted reflection about 
how we can see eye to eye 
and connect heart to heart,
about questions that we can ask,
in order to elevate empathy for others
while stretching and nurturing it in ourselves.

Howdy.
What's up?
How are you?
How can I help?
What do you need?
What do you want?
How are you feeling?
How are you growing?
What are you learning?
What needs to change?
What are you celebrating?
What are you struggling with?
What do you wish would happen?
What might I want in your situation?
What might I need?
What could help?
Who could help?


Happy Shoesday.






No comments

I really enjoy hearing from my readers; thanks for sharing your reflections with us!