PPBF: Just Ask!

Today I'm grateful to have started my morning on a Zoom Call with an AmAzInG school family in Wentzville, MO, where I was scheduled to go on March 20th.



What fun to bring this quick reminder about wellbeing to them!
How have you been doing? No, really. Like, for real? Honestly.

I've been a little melancholy and somewhat out of sorts after
attending a funeral for a high school friend online this week.
And while her passing was unrelated to the fight we're facing, 
I feel such great empathy for her family, who didn't get the chance 
to celebrate her life in the big way that she lived it,
due to the stay-at-home social-distancing orders in place.

It's a challenging time, for sure, and I pray
that you're staying healthy and safe.
Remember to lean in to your feelings
and lean on those people in your Square Squad.

Today's feel-good PPBF is sure to make your heart bloom today.


Title: Just Ask! Be Different, Be Brave, Be You
Author: Sonia Sotomayor
Illustrator: Rafael López
Publisher: Philomel Books
Birth Day: September 3, 2019
Suitable for: ages 4-8 (and up)
Themes: celebrating differences, courage, confidence
Brief synopsis: Travel with Sonia and her friends through the garden of life to learn all about how thousands of plants (and people!) can bloom and grow together, each in our own way.
Opening page: Hi, I'm Sonia. My friends and I are planting a garden. Gardens are magical places. Thousands of plants bloom together, but every flower, every berry, and every leaf is different. Each has a different smell, different color, different shape, and different purpose ... 

Resources: Watch an author interview {here}
Listen in on a Read Aloud with Imaginary Pages {here}
Read an NPR review {here}

Why I like this book: Brilliantly brought to life by the talented Rafael López, this somewhat-lengthy (especially for our younger learners) read-aloud showcases the incredible and different abilities that children bring to our world. Author and Supreme Court Judge Sotomayor tenderly tackles the subject of championing our differences, like taking medication, using a wheelchair, having a visual impairment, being deaf, living with dyslexia, etc., by simply encouraging her readers to Just Ask! when we have questions. After each child explains their ability, there's a question for self-awareness, introspection, and reflection. 

I especially really like this page;


doesn't this inquiry beg an insightful getting-to-know-you response?

Pair the book with Social Stations for Empowering Empathyto help your learners intentionally imagine what the different abilities feel like, what challenges they might create, and what blessings they bring as each of us grows in our own way.

Check out this book; I think it'll be that golden egg you can refer back to time and time again with your little seedlings when you find they need a booster shot of confidence, hope, and joy.

Now head to Susanna Hill's blog for today's other PPBF picks.

Oh, and this sweet hand-painted rock, hanging out in the neighborhood, reminds us that the Easter Bunny is definitely not a non-essential worker.


Happy Easter, dear reader!





2 comments

  1. Thank you for sharing the story about attending your friend's memorial service. It must have been strange to attend online!

    I LOVE this book! I don't know how I missed this Sonia Sotomayor gem! It's brilliant and deals with differences in an uplifting, positive and hopeful manner. Most important it shows abilities. I could write myself into this story. This is a must read for me! Thank you for sharing! Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pat, for stopping by and reflecting with me; I'm always SO happy to see you at the Corner! You will truly adore this book and I can't wait to read all about when you've got it in your hands. Happy Easter to you, too.

      Delete

I really enjoy hearing from my readers; thanks for sharing your reflections with us!