Transforming Ourselfies

Today I'm praying fervently about this pandemic pandemonium
and wondering what changes we might see once it's over.

We're going on three weeks under stay-at-home orders, so
I've had a lot of quiet time to reflect. Yesterday, I got to watch
this gorgeous creature come out of her chrysalis and take flight.


Here's what I posted about it on Facebook:

So I just spent two glorious hours watching this hatchling figure out her new normal, from coming out of her chrysalis, to clinging on for dear life while her wings dried, to practicing how her transformative beauty works, to finally deciding it was safe to take flight and heading out.

Promise. Hope. Freedom.

Joyfully on her new path.


And I’m in awe, struck by the poignant parallel to our current situation: life as we knew it, how we are living now, and what are sure to feel and do once we are out of these cocoons. Science and SEL, in one fell swoop. 

It reminds me of when I was in first grade and we did these
 silhouette selfies, which I thought were so cool.


When I was back at my school this past March, I noticed that the tradition of these, though significantly transformed, lives on.


I like this idea, for the kids to draw pictures or symbols 
to illustrate what they stand for and who they are.
It's a strong self-awareness reflection exercise.

But I'm also drawn to the classic look of the shadow silhouette.

Is one better or worse? 
Not at all. 
They're just different.
Each with a purpose.
A lot like the caterpillar and the butterfly.

They each have their job and, in tandem, 
they are a real-life miracle.

They go from crawling on the ground
to eating enough to gain strength,
to wrapping up in a pupa,
to waiting patiently for their time,
to struggling to get out of that house arrest,
to flying gracefully, fancifully carefree.

And just like that butterfly's incredible transformation,
beautiful things are coming out of this painful pandemic.

So today's question is this: How will we use this time at home to transform ourselves for our eventual release and newfound freedom? What will we leave behind, and which new normals will we keep? Who or what will help us decide?







No comments

I really enjoy hearing from my readers; thanks for sharing your reflections with us!