Self-Care In The Driver's Seat

Happy November. Did you have Trick or Treaters for Halloween last night? 

I was SO happy for the morsel of normalcy that I donned my Queen of Hearts costume for the return of this sweet annual event. We gave out about 70 pieces of candy, actually a bit more than usual.

I was still on a natural high from a Facebook Live with my Canadian friends Dr. Jody Carrington and Roman Nowak from that morning; 
click {here} to listen in on that spirited thirty minutes.

I'd actually consider it an act of self-care, to jump online and connect like that. Sure, it's a little bit out of the bubble-bath box, but I'm finding more and more that self-care isn't meant to be a reactive luxury so much as it is a proactive necessity. It also doesn't have to be done alone. With that in mind, here's a calendar with some soul-food boosters, a springboard from the one that Teacher Toni created for our self-care podcast episode

Feel free to drag it to your desktop and share it with your staff to encourage them to make self-care a daily habit.

If you're looking for an engaging activity for your next gathering, 
try extending this Vehicle Metaphor, adapted from an exercise
that Dr. Ernest Cox led on a Zoom session with us this past week.

It beautifully extends How are you? to a more comprehensive reflection: 
 Where are you on your journey today? What do you need? How can I help?


And it reminds us not to go it alone, to make sure we're healthy and well 
for our passengers, fully supported by our Pit Crew.

Invite your staff or students to draw their vehicles 
and then share them with a colleague.

Oh, and have tissues there, in case there are some rocky feelings 
that might require roadside assistance.

Which self-care strategies will you put in the driver's seat this month?




 



No comments

I really enjoy hearing from my readers; thanks for sharing your reflections with us!