PPBF: Hope At Sea

Today I'm thinking about hope. 


HOPE. I've seen it written Hang On Pain Ends.
I've heard it said that it's the only thing stronger than fear.
And that is can be found in the most parched of places.


So many thoughts on this important antidote, many of which
segue beautifully into today's PPBF.


Title: Hope At Sea
Author and Illustrator: Daniel Miyares
Publisher: Anne Swartz Books
Birth Date: November 9, 2021
Suitable for: ages 6-10
Themes: responsibility, courage, hope
Brief synopsis: Hope didn't want to just hear about her father's adventures, she wanted to experience them, so she stows away as his ship sets sail. Will her father forgive her? And more importantly, what lessons will she bring home from her adventure on the high seas?

Opening sentence: Whenever my world feels small, I turn to the sea.

Resources: 
See why Maria Marshall loves it {here}. 
Read a Kirkus review {here}.
Read a Publisher's Weekly review {here}.
Enjoy a sneak peek inside the book {here}.
Try the activities from Teaching Books {here}. 

Why I like this book: I'm actually most drawn to its hope-filled ending. But you're going to have to check out the book to find out more and figure out why. I love that the narrator's name is Hope and that she's just rebellious enough to stow away to get what she wants: An adventure on the high seas with her dad. It'll be a great discussion starter for your learners, to find out if they think what she did was wrong. Ask them to predict whether she's right that her father might be angry with her. Why or why not? Does her disappearance worry her mom? What might have been a better way to go about getting the adventure that her spirit craves?

Then read on and discover together what it takes to work on a boat. What responsibilities, chores or jobs do your learners have in their lives? What surprises them about her chores on the ship? 

Use this story as a springboard for your budding writers to create their own adventure story. Where do they want to go? How will they get there? What are they looking for? How will they know when they've found it?

Oh, Hope gets more than she bargains for when the storms come crashing in and the crew has to abandon ship. But don't worry; they do escape and find a shining light in their darkness.

A lighthouse with a beautiful name ... HOPE Shines.

I'll leave it there and invite you to check out
Hope At Sea: An Adventure Story.

Next, Step Gently Out to Susanna Hill's blog for more PPBF picks.









7 comments

  1. This sounds like a great story to spark kids to write about their own adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the sea and stories about adventure. The cover will entice kids to pick it up. I love that kids will learn a lot about what happens on and below deck to keep a ship sailing. I am curious about the ending. Great activities. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, these would be great to pair with the two recent "Deborah" story-writing books, Hopkinson's Story of a Story or Underwood's Bearnard Writes a Book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I ADORE this book and am glad that it keeps getting love & recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Daniel Miyares' work and looking forward to reading "Hope at Sea."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well you know I have a little someone who will love this story. Now I am curious! "If we believe that tomorrow will be better, we can bear a hardship today." Really needed this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed this story and Hope's spirit of adventure.

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy hearing from my readers; thanks for sharing your reflections with us!