Grace Found Me

Happy 2024, dear reader; today I'm reflecting on what's ahead.

We can learn so much about what's ahead by looking back.

Not to get stuck, but to mark growth.

As you know if you've been with me for this story, I've used the #onelittleword challenge now for over a decade to help me grow. This past year, I chose abundance and, in turn, abundance chose me over and over again. It's surreal, really, how much stretching I do with my one word.

So much flexing, in fact, that I even considered letting abundance be my final one word. It was somewhere between Thanksgiving and Christmas when I thought that I may not need to take the one word journey anymore.

So I didn't really work very hard going through potential words this year.

After all, I've already had some of the best.

Peace.
Joy.
Harmony.
Gratitude.
Hope.
Vulnerability. 
Enough.
Awe.
Present.
Nourish.
Goodness.

 So how did I go from not wanting a word and to grace finding me?


It happened over Christmas break, at my local Starbucks. John drove me up there on one of those sleepy mornings when you don't really know what day it is and you're still in Christmas PJ bottoms, to snag my hug-in-a-cup from the mobile-order counter. I'll admit it, I was in a bit of a fog, trying to process a horrific series of events in our community that led to the death of one of our teenagers on Christmas Eve eve. I greeted Helen, a treasured barista, and when she asked how I was doing, I mentioned how heavy it has been to understand what has happened. She nodded knowingly, we smiled compassionately at one another, and I grabbed what I thought was my caramel macchiato and headed back to the van.

As John turned out of the drive toward the bank and I took that first sip, I remarked to him that surely Helen didn't make this one today because it didn't taste at all like my usual sweet treat. That's what made me look at the label, only to find that, in my haze, I had grabbed Tiffany's cappuccino. John made a U-turn and I started to rehearse my return.

I was so embarrassed, but instead of being greeted with angst or shame, I was welcomed back with mercy and grace. Helen had already made a new drink for Tiff and my first-sip feeling was still on the counter, where it was all along, waiting for me.

Grace. From them. For me.

And when I got home and turned the calendar, 
the unbelievable part of the story about how grace found me:


   On a calendar that I got from my friend Trish on an author visit in Wisconsin back in early October. A calendar I hadn't hung or opened up until that very morning. The morning I was lavished by grace.

Undeserved merit.
Unearned favor.
Compassion.
Mercy.
Kindness.

The disposition to benefit or serve another.

Grace. Period.

I pray that it will help melt away the unrealistic expectations that I have for myself and for others and instead spread courteous goodwill to everyone and, in turn, experience inward harmony for my soul. 

Don't you love the sound of that?


I want to give and get more grace this year. And beyond.

Show this video trailer to help spark your Get One Word campaign.

I'd love to know what your one word is;
here's to a gracious new year, dear reader.

  





1 comment

  1. Oh no! I hope you never stop doing the One Word for each year. It inspires me to choose one, too! This year my word had waffling around in my head for a few weeks until, finally, some divine intervention that proved that the word I'd kept going back to, "rest", wasn't silly or wrong. On December 31st, I opened up a devotional book that was recently gifted to me and I read the first sentence for that day. It simply said, "Rest." I smiled and thought, "Ok, God." :) So, hello 2024 - I am going to make sure I take time to rest this year; more than any other year.

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy hearing from my readers; thanks for sharing your reflections with us!