Supersizing Kindness

Today I woke up energized by the incredible week of kindness we've had. The hurricane may have detoured our lives for a bit, but it hasn't damped our spirit. On Monday, we started this year's counseling classes with a meet-the-counselor and storm debrief feelings lesson. We really enjoyed Marianne Richmond's 


I told my students this story; when I first saw it in the stores I didn't buy it, because my students aren't littles, but middles. {For fun, I did rearrange the books on display at our local Barnes & Noble to seize a photo opp for a shot to send to the author.} 
Just days later, Hurricane Harvey blew through and this treasure trove of courageous things took on a whole new meaning, so back to the bookstore I went to purchase a copy for us and am I ever glad I did. 

My favorite line might be, "Be brave to be scared," although the page about being brave to be with our feelings is a strong second. Actually, the entire text and its beautiful illustrations {especially the girl on the tree swing!} are picture perfect. I absolutely loved reading this rhyming gem aloud; check it out because I think you'll connect with it, too. 

Compare and contrast it with these titles. 



After our discussion, we each chose a comfort card to take home,


from this creative collection from all over the nation.


We have been incredibly touched by everyone's generosity and love; here's our visual to show students and stakeholders where each seed of kindness was planted.


By Monday afternoon, the map was up on our wall of fame,


just in time for our friends from Kids for Peace to arrive.

They met my friend Jax; click the picture to donate to his Harvey Relief Fund.
Executive Director Jill and her friend and film maker Kirsten 
came to Texas to bring their Undy 500 donations from CA,

The California Undy 500 quickly became the Undy 5000!
 and see what else they might do to help us 
recover and rebuild our community and state.

We had a glorious three days; they told us that they left Texas 
with oversized hearts from the super-sized kindness.

On Friday, this kindness came in the mail from my friend Tanya.


A year ago this week, I was at her school talking with her counseling colleagues and school family. And, without talking, we were both making maps, they to help us recover and let us know they're praying for us, we to thank school families like theirs for their empathy, compassion and kindness. Providential, don't you think? Thank you, Tanya, for our priority mail.


Friday afternoon, I got another box, this one from young Ayel in Florida who was determined to cheer us up even as she and her family were going through Hurricane Irma. Check out the Keppy cap this caped kindness crusader painted. 


Talk about being the rainbow in someone's storm. She also sent bookmarks with a lucky penny and a hand-written inspirational message for our flood survivors because she never wants anyone to lose their page. Thank you, Ayel.

And then, Stefanie in the Dallas area sent us ten of these scripture cards attached to a gift card for our staff members whose homes flooded.


It felt so good to be able to put these in their boxes
to treat them to a little something after a long day of caregiving.


In the middle of all of that, we celebrated
We didn't plant pinwheels this year but instead,
a character rock garden is planned for February.

Have we had fun supersizing kindness this week or what?






No comments

I really enjoy hearing from my readers; thanks for sharing your reflections with us!