PPBF: The Smallest Gift Of Christmas

Happy winter solstice; today I'm excited because just yesterday, I found out that one of my favorite mindfulness resources, the flip-the-sequins mermaid pillow, is now available as a blanket. Talk about your year-round holiday hug!



So I added it to my Christmas wish list.
I know, I know, I don't have an office anymore,
or kids who stop by craving comfort and calm,
but I want one anyway, just in case.

I'm also feeling honored and grateful to share that my story, A Recipe For Hope, earned an Honorable Mention Nod in Susanna's Holiday Hero Contest


Her kind words make my soul sing; being in the company of these incredible authors and their stories makes my heart happy.

Know what else makes me happy? Today's PPBF pick, a Peter H. Reynolds classic that I just recently discovered though it has been out for nearly 5 years.


Title: The Smallest Gift of Christmas
Author and Illustrator: Peter H. Reynolds
Publisher: Candlewick Press
Birth Date: November 14, 2014
Suitable for: all ages
Brief synopsis: When Roland saw his little gift, he wanted something bigger and bigger and bigger still. Will he get what he truly wants?
Opening page: Roland was eager for Christmas Day.

Resources: Listen to the author read his story. 



Watch this awesome Emily Arrow song:


Read Caryn's review {here}.
Purchase an autographed copy {here}.

Why I like this book: Um, probably first and foremost because I'm a Peter H. Reynolds fan girl; who wouldn't love the simplicity of his sketches and his supercharged simple yet profound stories. Here, he drives home the point that amazing things come in small packages, but we have to open our eyes and our hearts long enough to unwrap the present(s) in our own back yard. Brilliant!

Read this gift aloud to encourage those littles in your care to think of some small things that are going to be a big deal to someone.
 Remind them that sometimes less is more.

I was on the receiving end of a few truly thoughtful treasures lately;
here are two of my favorites.

1. The Pick-Me-Up Jar


This gift, from my friend Tanya in Montana, is filled with strips of paper that bear thoughts of inspiration, comfort, and care. When I need a booster shot of joy, I just pull a reflection out of the jar. 

2. The Thoughts Jar

 My friend Carol gave me this decanter filled with 182 journal prompts, one for every other day this year, so that at the end of 2019, I'll have written a keepsake. Isn't that so creative?


Another one of my favorite things?
Christmas cards with holiday updates.
My mom always sent a Christmas letter,
a tradition I continue to this day, and something
 I look forward to as the holiday cards make their way
from the homes of friends and family to ours.

It's always the small things that truly become the big things.

What's one tiny Christmas gift that you treasure BIG?





No comments

I really enjoy hearing from my readers; thanks for sharing your reflections with us!