Like Christmas In July

Today I'm thinking about Balcony People, because they know this reminder 
from There's Good In Store to be true:


And my load last month was lightened by some special Balcony People.


Here's how: First, a care package from Tanya in Montana, telling me that she saw this necklace and thought about me.


Then, Laura in NJ sent this shirt to celebrate our cross-country collaboration on the Virtual Classroom Survival Guide.


Patty in Michigan sent this gorgeous decor for our backyard sanctuary.


Laurie texted this sweet note as she watched her sun set in Canada.


Her Canadian neighbor, Roman, sent me a poolside read to help me grow.


Up in my home state of WI, Colleen mailed a card to say hello ...


reminding me to never underestimate the power of words.

My friend Amanda in MA sent this hand-made wall hanging, from a stick 
she found on a walk and some treasured yarn from her grandma.


Then my friend Margaret, who recently moved to Willis, TX, sent a page 
that she colored, to let me know that she's praying for us.
So much goodness in the hearts of these encouraging and supportive friends.

Finally, my Dad surprised me with this hand-crafted recipe box.


As I put in my request that he make one for Kaitlyn's shower and coached him through what we wanted for her, he secretly made a second box for my recipe collection. At 83 years young, Dad had never made a box before this one, which is extra meaningful to me because it's made from the wood of a black walnut tree that used to be base for our childhood games of tag on the family farm. The recipe for a Christian marriage card that his wife included put a beautiful touch on this treasured keepsake. We both love them. 


The thoughtfulness and love in all of these gifts  
has made it feel like Christmas in July.
And left me feeling humbled and grateful.

And you know what else? It has made me want
to follow suit and pay it forward.

Because kindness has the power of a boomerang like that.

Who has checked on you recently?
And whom have your checked in on?
Doesn't it feel incredible to share someone's burden?

How were you a gift in July and
how will you be a gift in August?

Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got some cards to write.








No comments

I really enjoy hearing from my readers; thanks for sharing your reflections with us!