When Familiarity Fades

Happy August. Today I'm feeling with all of the educators and students who are gearing up to go back to school. The familiarity of school as we've known it has faded away; this typically-wonderful time of anticipation and wonder presents more like a time of heightened anxiety and worry this year.


This bouquet's poignant parallel to our current situation isn't lost on me. 
Both of these yellow daisies were brilliantly strong and in full bloom on Saturday to beautify our daughter's Bridal Shower.

But by yesterday afternoon, the front one had wilted; I found it
this morning gingerly resting on the big support leaf.

I, myself, have felt a bit like that wilted flower lately; 
if you're getting ready to go back to school, maybe you have, too.


Like the fragrant flower that's still standing tall, we totally want to be excited about going back. We miss our kiddos like crazy and we know they miss us, too.

But like the fatigued flower that has already wilted,
the pressure to go back under what feels like 
impossible conditions seems almost too much to bear.

I don't know what the answer is.

Or perhaps I don't know is the answer right now.

I visited my former Principal yesterday and he likened what we're going through to the process of folding the fitted sheet. And that made sense. The top sheet folds pretty handily, but the bottom one just never folds up quite right, does it?

What I do know is that when familiarity fades,
it can feel really awkward and uncomfortable.
Scary even. Sometimes super scary.

I also know that it's okay not to know
as we work with intention to navigate the unknown.

And it's okay not to be okay,
as long as we don't stay there for too long.

It's okay to lay our heads down and rest,
to talk through our worries with friends and family,
to let them help us make the best decisions that we can
with the information that we have in this moment.

To bloom where we are planted to the best of our ability.
To make wherever we go better because we're there.
And to ask for help when the load is too heavy to carry alone.

Because we were never meant to go it alone anyway.

Thank you for being a vibrant flower in the bouquet of life regardless of how you're holding up during these unusual times of uncertainty and unrest. 

Don't ever forget that we see you. You matter. And you are loved.






No comments

I really enjoy hearing from my readers; thanks for sharing your reflections with us!